Memory XP & ME issues

johnstott 22:45 06 Oct 2006

I have always been aware of issues with motherboard compatability but I have a curious happening with the same mobo (Jetway AS-H)using 2 HDD, one with ME and one with XP. The XP is used for home use. The ME version has software for work that was produced around the ME era so no choice on that it won't run on XP withoutspending mega bucks to upgrade.

Anyway with no 1 daughter out to uni this summer and a pc required for her I have been shuffling pc components. New memory was aquired 1Gb ddr pc3200 (buffalo) it works a treat on the XP HDD. But chaos with ME. Clearly the mobo will support it. but with ME I get issues with video drivers, various execution files need reinstalling incuding office. It is OK in safe mode but thats about all! Revert back to the old memory and all is OK

I hadn't been aware of any software influences on memory. Any thoughts out there??

woodchip 22:52 06 Oct 2006

Me only supports 512Mb memory without a Memory Manager

Totally-braindead 22:52 06 Oct 2006

Are you sure its a software issue and not a BIOS problem?

I know there was a memory issue with Win98SE, can't remeber what the limit was though or whether it was sorted by the time they brought out ME. Someone else will though.

Totally-braindead 22:53 06 Oct 2006

Ah knew someone would know.

johnstott 23:11 06 Oct 2006

If it was bios then it wouldn't work with XP was my thought. Now you gents have refreshed my memory I do recall the limit - Woodchip has it I suspect - any dirtection on memory managers?

woodchip 23:25 06 Oct 2006

I used to use one on my 98se comp but cannot remember the one. You could try the software I just posted in another thread as it does manage memory, and speeds computer up. It may do the job

ed-0 23:38 06 Oct 2006

800Mb is the limit if you alter the vcache settings.click here

You could alter the click here system configuration utility to limit the ammount of ram read by ME.

johnstott 15:03 07 Oct 2006

Thanks people -I took the quick and easy option and did the config utility - it now works fine.

Once again thanks for the excellent advice - if only things were always that quick and easy!

ed-0 15:29 07 Oct 2006

it's handy if you dual boot and want to use more than 512Mb of memory in the system.

would you like to put a resolved " green tick ", if you are satisfied the problem is solved?

ed-0 17:52 07 Oct 2006

thanks ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?