Memory voltage. Can you use 2v RAM in 1.8v sockets

jacksticks 11:44 20 Feb 2010

Hi,

I am currently building my first PC. I just have the RAM to go. My motherboard is the Giga-Byte GA-EP41-UD3L. It has four Dimm sockets that support 1.8v Memory. I have seen a 2GB dual channel kit which runs at 2v, would I be able to use this?

The 2v memory seems to be cheaper?

Any help would be great!!!!

bremner 12:00 20 Feb 2010

Have a read of this click here

jacksticks 12:06 20 Feb 2010

Hi,

Still a little confused, although eventually it seems the 2v RAM worked without making any adjustments in the BIOS so I reckon I will take a chance.

Thanks very much!

retep888 12:45 20 Feb 2010

This is official RAM QVL from Giga-Byte
click here

Can you post a link to your 2.0V 2GB dual channel kit ?

Although there is a good chance it'll boot with the new Ram but if it's running with lower voltage that means it's running with lower speed so what's the point?

A high end motherboard's bios is designed to protect and stop booting if it detects any irregularities while I don't know if your Giga-Byte has this facility.

If your motherboard continues to boot with higher voltage fed to new Ram without adjustment to cpu/dram ratio,there is a slight chance of frying your CPU.(I could be wrong,of course)

Other forum members may give better suggestions.

jacksticks 14:48 20 Feb 2010

Hi,

Thanks!

This is the link to the RAM

click here

It actually mentions it comes in a 1.8v version but I cannot find this anywhere!!

Thanks again.....

retep888 15:38 20 Feb 2010

In that case,it should be ok.

I think it's configured to run at higher latency of CL5-5-5-15 at 1.8V but can be overclocked to lower latency at CL4-4-4-12 at 2.0V.

You might have to adjust some settings in Bios if it doesn't boot up.

However you can use this 4GB from Corsair click here guaranteed to work first time round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache