Memory Usage or CPU problem?

aogston 10:20 05 Dec 2006

I have a HP Pavillion, Celeron CPU with only 64Mb Ram which my kids use for homework etc. For years it has worked perfectly well but about a month ago it has become really slow. When trying to do a task such as opening up an application it takes forever. Even if no applications are running (except for virus scan etc) the mem usage runs at 160,000k according to task manager and if opening up an app the cpu shoots up to 100%. As soon as you logon I get a virtual mem low message.
Could the memory card have become faulty or is it another problem.
Any help would be fantastic.
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 10:25 05 Dec 2006

click here and try changing virtual memory; could be that it got corrupted.

aogston 10:36 05 Dec 2006

I have already increased my virtual memory with no effect. I re-formatted the pc about 3 weeks ago thinking it was just needing a clearout but this too made no difference. The pc has windows 2000 installed.
Is there any way in checking if the memory has failed?

Diodorus Siculus 14:18 05 Dec 2006

If you are concerned about the RAM, try memtest click here but I doubt that is the problem. What it might be though I don't know...

Do you have onboard graphics? If so, maybe more RAM has been given over to it than was previously the case.

Or it could be a particular MSUpdate that is taking more resources...

Sorry, I'm just clutching at straws here.

To be honest, another 256MB RAM would make a big difference at a low cost. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?