Memory upgrade - is it worth it?

  staples printer cartridge 14:12 16 Jan 2006

I have just upgraded my AGP card relativley cheaply with the long term aim (this time next year) to upgrde mobo and processor and then go to PCI-E graphics. I currently have 1Gb RAM with an available slot and was about to buy a 1Gb stick when I suddenlky thought will this be compatible when I upgrade and should I just wait until that time. Here is my current mobo: click here and here is the RAM I was going to buy: click here
Could anyone advise please?

  Gongoozler 14:31 16 Jan 2006

Hi Ian. I doubt that you'll see much benefit from memory additional to your present 1G unless you process large bitmap images. When you upgrade next year, there is a possibility that PC3200 won't be the ideal memory, or even compatible at all with your new motherboard. If as part of next years upgrade you install Windows Vista, then from what I've read you will really benefit from 2G RAM. So my advice is to wait.

  rmcqua 14:35 16 Jan 2006

The RAM you are loking at is PC3200. You should not have any compatibility problem with your new m/b in one year's time. I'm assuming that your existing RAM is also a PC3200 module?

  rmcqua 14:39 16 Jan 2006

Just read your post to staples printer cartridge after I posted mine. It looks as if we are giving him contradictory advice. I'll stick to his original question which was whether he was likely he would have compatibility issues with his new board in 1 year's time. Despite the speed of progress, I really can't see PC3200 being redundant by then ... unless someone in the memory business knows otherwise...

  staples printer cartridge 14:56 16 Jan 2006

I may just wait for a while.

  Gongoozler 15:39 16 Jan 2006

Hi rmcqua. I accept that if Ian keeps to the same processor, then PC3200 will probably still be compatible in a years time, but a year is a long while in computer terms, and already PC3200 isn't the fastest, so the new motherboard, and possibly processor, may want PC4000, DDR2 or something faster. That's why I advised against spending £65 on what I think will be of little benefit.

  staples printer cartridge 15:46 16 Jan 2006

Hi Gongoozler,

I think that's why I decided to wait, £65 on something that MAY be compatible, but also not necessarily the fastest option seems a bit wasteful at this time. I appreciate both comments though as I understand things a little better now.

  rmcqua 21:16 16 Jan 2006

Hi Ian,
I think you made the right decision. Gongoozler has a good point about you not gaining much benefit for now. Anyaway, who knows, you may win the lottery before next year and then you can buy us all a nice new PC ?!?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires