MEMORY UPGRADE FOR DINOSAUR

bertiecharlie 20:45 23 Mar 2004

Don't laugh, but I have an old Panrix Computer from 1997. Cyrix166mhz, 1.2gb hard drive, 32mb EDO RAM.
It works ok and, although it does things in it's own time, it never lets me down. In order to speed things up I thought I would add some RAM. I understand that EDO Ram has to be installed in pairs of modules. My computer currently has two 16MB Simm modules (if modules is the right word).

PCMemory-Upgrade.co.uk are offering the following : 64MB EDO RAM, 72 PIN SIMM - NEC
60ns, 32bit, non-parity, single module, 8 chips. (Is this likely to be ok or are there different types of EDO RAM?)

If this is the right thing to get I would get two to give an extra 128mb of RAM. If it's any help to you experts one of the web sites I visited scanned my computer with inconclusive results. It did tell me the following, however: Bus Speed 66mhz, 486 Processor, Maximum Ram 256mb, ASUS.

I believe installing the memory is a doddle (if I can get into the case) and, that once done, the computer should automatically recognise the extra memory. Am I being naieve here?

Thanks.

Blartfast 20:56 23 Mar 2004

I have installed edo ram upgrades into older pcs. The above should work ok but some of the older motherboards do not recognize that much ram. I have installed 128Mb and had the motherboard only recognize 80Mb of it! You may need a bios update (if you can find one!)to get it to recognize the full amount.

bertiecharlie 21:00 23 Mar 2004

Thank you for that. May be an idea to only get two 32mb "modules", giving 64mb. That should speed things up a bit.

Gongoozler 21:12 23 Mar 2004

Some motherboards were fussy about what memory went into which slots, so you may need to experiment. I think you may get best chances of success with the larger size pairs in the lower numbered slots. If you can identify what the motherboard model is (AIDA32 from click here may help), then it is possible that you can download a copy of the manual to help you.

bertiecharlie 21:17 23 Mar 2004

Thanks for that. I might have a root around and see if I can find the original manual. In principle though at least I should get some benefit from the extra memory.

Gongoozler 21:22 23 Mar 2004

Have a look here to see how much memory will be optimum for your version of Windows and use of the computer. click here

With Windows 98se, I find that the effect of additional memory is quite marked up to 128M.

Bob Thwipplethwack, Deceased 21:22 23 Mar 2004

If you can identify your motherboard as gongoozler suggests, I would suggest you look at the Crucial website click here There you will be able to identify and order the correct ram for your motherboard.

bertiecharlie 21:34 23 Mar 2004

I have Windows ME. I did visit the Crucial website (Bob Thwipplethwack) and that's where I got the "inconclusive" information regarding the Bus speed etc. They couldn't identify the exact type of memory I needed but at least I was a bit wiser.

I've just looked at the Kingston site (Gongoozler) and it seems to suggest I need 128mb. Crikey, I've been doing well with 32mb!

The information from the Crucial scan did say maximum ram of 256mb so I may be okay adding teo times 64mb after all.

ramesh 21:37 23 Mar 2004

As Blartfast says check how much memory the mother board supports-check the manual for that. I have an old Dell pentium 133 (for emergencies) and when I upgraded the memory the maximum the motherboard would take was 64Mb, so no point in spending £s to buy 128Mb if it is not going to be utilised.

bertiecharlie 21:45 23 Mar 2004

Thanks for that also, you've all been very helpful. Maybe the first step would be to get two times 16mb. That would double the RAM i already have, shouldn't present any problems as to which slots I put them in, should be supported by the motherboard, and it won't break the bank.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?