Memory upgrade

User-637845DF-0B9F-46E2-90B7AABEC7262D6D 22:58 12 Jan 2010

Hi guys,
After some guidance.

Just purchased more memory to upgrade to 4gb but not being recognised.
I am running a Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLi
AMD 64 x 2 dual core 4200 2.21ghz

Memory at present is 4 x 512 ddr 200mhz pc3200

Checking the spec on the board I believe it can run 4gb 400mhz pc3200 and so purchased 4 1gb dimms cl2.0.

When all four sticks in place The system does not start up at all. I have tried resetting Cmos but still no joy.

On boot up I see cpu is running 200mhz. Should I increase this to 400mhz in Bios??
Or are these sticks too fast for the system??

Any assistance would be welcome.

Regards,

Lobo69

MAJ 23:16 12 Jan 2010

"On boot up I see cpu is running 200mhz. Should I increase this to 400mhz in Bios??"

No.

You haven't said which operating system you're using, but if it's a 32-bit OS, then it will only be able to use around 3 - 3.2 GB of memory. Will it boot okay with three modules installed? Although you should be able to (normally) install the four modules, even if it doesn't utilise it all.

ame 00:19 13 Jan 2010

I have MSI K8N Neo4-F with AMD 64x2 4400+ 2.21 ghz and added to original 2x512mb ram with 2x1gb pc3200 a year or two ago easily. I presume you have checked the Crucial site click here to check ram compatibility, but faster ram is normally compatible. Is it the right type - e.g. non-ecc, unbuffered type, though?

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm running 32bit XP and was expecting to only see 3gig or so but not absolutely nothing :-). The Ram is non ecc and unbuffered but cl2.0 and not cl 2.5, which I had asked for, but I assumed this was not an issue being faster?.

Maybe I'll load one stick at a time or swap them as I haven't tested them in this instance as yet.

Cheers,
R.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm running 32bit XP and was expecting to only see 3gig or so but not absolutely nothing :-). The Ram is non ecc and unbuffered but cl2.0 and not cl 2.5, which I had asked for, but I assumed this was not an issue being faster?.

Maybe I'll load one stick at a time or swap them as I haven't tested them in this instance as yet.

Cheers,
R.

chub_tor 19:25 13 Jan 2010

Page 16 and 17 of your motherboard manual which you can download from the Gigabyte website if you don't already have a copy shows how to configure your memory. I would indeed try installing one stick at a time in accordance with their instructions and see if the lack of boot up is due to one faulty stick.

chub_tor 19:28 13 Jan 2010

Should have added that according to their instructions you cannot run with 3 memory sticks and the positioning when you are using just one or two is critical.

iscanut 19:39 13 Jan 2010

XP should recognize approx 3.5 Gb of memory. It will not recognize more than this.

Thanks Chub,

I've tested all four modules and still no joy.
As per the instruction manual all 4 units are equal.
I have checked the crucial mem checker and all there recommendations are cL2.5 or 3.0 and not 2.0 as I have received. I am wondering if these units are thus incompatible with my MOBO??

Cheers
R

chub_tor 11:59 15 Jan 2010

On paqges 49 and 50 of your manual it shows you how tochange the memory timing, with examples as low as CAS 1.5 so I don't think that the memory speed is your problem. I am no expert on these things so you should read the manual and follow it accordingly. Personally the first thing I would do is to start the BIOS with a reset by using the Clear CMOS connector on the board - see page 23 for its location.

Quiller. 12:17 15 Jan 2010

from?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?