Memory upgrade

lonemascot 18:44 21 Feb 2008

System Spec:
1 GB of RAM (PCi 400)
AMD 64 3500+ 2.2 Ghz processor
GeForce 6600 graphics
AS-ROCK motherboard 939S56-M
Running Windows XP

Basically I experience PC slowdowns quite a bit when running applications such as Photoshop, Fireworks etc.

On my motherboard I have 4 memory slots. 2 are black and filled with 2 x 512mb pci 400 memory. 2 are blue and are empty.

Can i just put 2 more 512mb modules in the blue slots to give me a total of 2GB RAM?

If i upgrade to 2GB is it better to have 4 modules at 512mb or 2 at 1GB each?

Doeas anyone know if this board can support 4 lots of 1GB modules to give 4GB?

PS. I have tried using Crucials Memory upgrade tool but because my PC is a custom built machine it doesn't recognise it???

Thanks

chub_tor 19:03 21 Feb 2008

Here's the link for your motherboard. click here=

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 21 Feb 2008

Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 memory

waste of time running more than 3.5 G with XP 2G should be enough.

helen_312 19:07 21 Feb 2008

'
Can i just put 2 more 512mb modules in the blue slots to give me a total of 2GB RAM?'

Yes.

'If i upgrade to 2GB is it better to have 4 modules at 512mb or 2 at 1GB each?'

Either.

'Doeas anyone know if this board can support 4 lots of 1GB modules to give 4GB?'

Yes it does. click here

'Basically I experience PC slowdowns quite a bit when running applications such as Photoshop, Fireworks etc.'

Increase your virtual memory to a fixed minimum and maximum size. If you have plenty of hard drive space, set it to 2000Mb min and 2000 max.

mrwoowoo 19:08 21 Feb 2008

On your board you can put in another 2 pc400 sticks to make 2gig no problem.
Yes it does support 4 x 1 gig sticks.
Prob better to have 2 1 gig sticks as memory works better in pairs although you may not even notice the difference.
If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
in the DDR DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to activate
the Dual Channel Memory Technology.

max capacity
4gb
click here
dependant on o/s if recognises full 4gb
run the cpuiz tool from crucial website,and then phone them to see if they can match up from the cpuiz results.

Totally-braindead 19:13 21 Feb 2008

Heres what Crucial say you can take click here you need to install in pairs and since you already have 1 gig I would just add another gig that is 2 x 512mb. There is a difference running 4 x 512mb and running 2 x 1 gig memory modules but I don't know if its noticeable. And I personally wouldn't bin 2 perfectly good memory modules just because of that.

Now I wonder if you do housekeeping? I mean do you clean old programs out, run the likes of crapcleaner and defrag regularly? Also do you have a lot of programs running at startup that you don't need to be running? If you do some tidying up and stop a lot of these programs at startup you can really see a difference. What I suppose I'm getting at is you might not need the extra RAM at all.

If you do decide to buy memory buy Crucial RAM don't go off and buy generic memory its just asking for trouble with certain boards and I think its too much hassle.

lonemascot 19:39 21 Feb 2008

cheers for the help.

because of the dual channel memory thing thats been mentioned it looks like i can only install 1GB, 2GB or 4GB. Its not possible to fit 3GB for instance.

What are the limitations of Windows XP? Can it even support 4GB?

The Memory that is installed currently is not Crucial or any brand I recognise.

Does it make any difference if I put my 2 new Crucial modules in the first slots and these other ones in the last 2?

What I'm trying to establish is how does the computer access it. does it use the first 2 before using the 2nd 2 or does it use a bit of all 4 at once?

lonemascot 19:56 21 Feb 2008

whats the difference between:
DDR PC3200/DDR-400
DDR PC2700/DDR-333
DDR PC4000/DDR-500

Are they in pairs because they are one and the same or do they differ slightly?

Also the crucial tool that Totally braindead posted saysy that i can run 2 x 512mb DDR PC4000 modules but the ASROck website only states the 400/3200 type?

helen_312 20:29 21 Feb 2008

'because of the dual channel memory thing thats been mentioned it looks like i can only install 1GB, 2GB or 4GB. Its not possible to fit 3GB for instance.'

It is possible and it is probably your best bet. Buy 2 sticks of 1Gb and replace them into the one used by the 512Mb ram. Then put the 2 x 512 mb ram into the other 2 slots. This will give you 3gb of dual channel memory.

What is the difference in the memory you quoted. They run at different speeds. If you were to put PC2700 into your system it would slow down the memory you now have in.

If you put in PC4000 your system might not recognise the memory and it may affect your dual channel option.

If you use PC3200 it should match your other memory and run in dual channel mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 21 Feb 2008

You MUST match correctly if using Dual channel memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone