Memory Upgrade

myanmarboy 16:35 08 Aug 2007

I would like to do a memory upgrade but have run into a problem. My mobo is a P4S5A with a Pentium 4 processor.OS is XP Home. I currently have installed a total DDR memory of 768mb (1 x 512 plus 1 x 256). According to the mobo booklet there are 2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 SDRAM sockets (can't be mixed or used simultaneously) supporting a Max of 2.0 gb. I was hoping to replace the 256 mb stick with a 1gb to give me a total of 1.5gb.
When I did a Crucial scan it said that I already had the maximumum memory installed. I cannot understand this as I would expect to at least be able to replace the 256mb with a 512mb
I have emailed Crucial but have not had a response.
All help would be appreciated.

beeuuem 16:59 08 Aug 2007

You could try 'phoning if you are in a hurry.
Crucial Headquarters
Customer Service

Freephone
0800 013 0330
They work till 7.30pm ans are always very helpful.

wee eddie 18:26 08 Aug 2007

Don't use the Auto Check.

Fill in the MoBo Details and follow that route. You will need both Maker and Model Number.

cream. 19:04 08 Aug 2007

change the 256Mb stick for a 1Gb stick click here

The memory scan is not allays correct. It once suggested that my machine with two dimm slots could take 16Gb of memory:-)

myanmarboy 21:05 08 Aug 2007

Percy Vere,
Thanks for the link. Just one concern, in the Manufactureres Specification box, Right Hand Side, 8th Line down it says :-
Max component density 512 mbs. Don't understand this if "the best" reccommended upgrade is the 1gb stick.

myanmarboy 19:40 13 Aug 2007

Many thanks to all who responded. I spoke with Crucial who assured me the mobo would take a
1 gig module in each slot and everything went to plan.
Like Beeuuem I found the Crucial team very helpful. I opted for the free delivery (2-5 days) through the post, and the module came through my letter box the following morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017