memory upgrade

harps1h 21:03 26 Jul 2007

my current system consists of:
amd 4600+ X2
2GB PC5300 ram
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB graphics (just installed)
ASUS M2N32SLI Motherboard.

my question is on certain games there is a stuttering effect as if there is a bottle neck in the system. this did not occur with the previous card (gainward 6600GT). I was wondering if i were to add more memory (2GB) of the same memory it may help, or would it be better to add a new 2GB of faster memory and take out the PC5300.

I do have a budget of around £70

thanks harps

Jak_1 21:41 26 Jul 2007

From what I can see on a google search of the mobo it will support up to 8 GB RAM, however I would think a graphics card designed for gameing would be a better buy with as high a memory as you can afford. That however will set you back far mor than your £70 budget.
For £55.21 inc vat you can get a Kingston 2 GB stick. see here:
click here(17822)Kingston-Value-RAM-2GB-667MHz-Kit-DDR2-PC5300.aspx?AddReview=1#ShowReview

D.G,E 21:45 26 Jul 2007

I have no trouble with games on my PC system running vista.

intel core duo e6300
2 gig ram ddr 2 pc5300 667mhz
A BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
ECS ELITEGROUP motherboard.

If your running vista there will be a performance drop compared to XP.

And i would recomend you to upgrade your forceware driver from click here

Plus i think the 5300 DDR2 is the fastest ram out not sure though because these things improve quickly.

By the way elderscrolls olivion and C&C 3 work nicely on the highest setings and a 1280x1040 screensize with AA and AF levels on 4x and the rest of the games work fine no performance loss but i have patched most of my games.

Totally-braindead 21:46 26 Jul 2007

Can't see any obvious bottleneck in what you listed it should fairly fly along. You could check to see whats running in the background and do some housekeeping and a defrag. Also perhaps see what specs the games you have a problem with actually needs, perhaps one of them is close to the spec you have. And of course see if theres any patches for them and drivers updates for your hardware.
Wondering about your hard drives as you didn't mention them, mate had a PC that jerked a bit and it turned out he was using a slow hard drive and that was his bottleneck though this was some time ago.

harps1h 23:08 26 Jul 2007

"however I would think a graphics card designed for gameing would be a better buy with as high a memory as you can afford."

please reread my original post

"i think the 5300 DDR2 is the fastest ram out not sure though because these things improve quickly."
this runs at 667mhz: the fastest is 800 mhz. also i am using an Hitachi 160 sata harddrive with 7200rpm ans a 2 mb buffer on windows xp professional

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?