Memory stick in win98se..?

Ikelos 10:37 07 Aug 2006

my grandaughter has her laptop here, running win98se, the usb port is fine, it runs her mp3 player and the wireless connection to the internet, but no way can i get her memory stick thingy to work, i do not know who made it, and it has no drivers, we have been all over the net and it appears others have the same problem, anyone know if there is a sort of generic drivers that we could use....thanks, or any other answer come to that..

pj123 11:10 07 Aug 2006

For Win 98SE I think you would need specific drivers for the memory stick. Does it not have any markings on it at all which would give a clue who the maker is?

Alternatively, can you not ask the supplier of the stick who the maker is or if they have a driver disk for it?

Ikelos 11:20 07 Aug 2006

hi, no markings at all...the sticks were made for a large banking concern, to be handed out as promotional gifts..and we have a couple, if you know what i mean..............

rodriguez 11:29 07 Aug 2006

If you have access to a Windows XP machine, plug it in there and see what it says in the yellow "Found new hardware" bubble when it detects it. It should have the make and/or model of the stick e.g mine says "TinyDisk Removable USB". Then write down what it says and go to DriverGuide (click here) to search for drivers for it. The site requires a free regestration but when done, you can access almost any driver for any device you need.

Ikelos 11:46 07 Aug 2006

hi, good thinking, just plugged it into my laptop, but all it came up with was "flash disk usb device"

beeuuem 12:15 07 Aug 2006

Have you tried looking in 'storage' in siw fromclick here or Everest Home from click here

I don't actually know if these will help but they do identify my Crucial Gizmo (flash drive) by name.

recap 12:16 07 Aug 2006

Plug in your USB device as suggested by rodriguez. Open Device Manager scroll down to USB Controllers, right click your device and select Properties. From here you can find which driver Windows is using to run the device.

Navigate via Explorer to the driver, copy and paste it on to your granddaughters computer.

ed-0 12:32 07 Aug 2006

try this driver, it might work. click here, it's only 1.5Mb. It's a sandisk driver and works for a few memory sticks in 98se.

Ikelos 12:48 07 Aug 2006

thanks all , had a good go at all the advice, could not get my head round it, must be my age, most of the brain cells have died off, so now she is downloading the link from ed-o and we will see how we get on, i will return ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?