Memory Stick Not Recognised

warthog01 12:56 28 Nov 2007

Hi

I'm running WinXP and have recently had problems getting my 2GB memory stick to appear in My Computer. The stick is fine--works well with another computer and used to work fine with this one. The problem seems to have surfaced since I bought a WD My Book external hard drive, which now takes up the "E" Drive designation the memory stick used to open on. When I plug in the memory stick, the chimes sound as if recognised and the LCD on the stick flashes a couple times, but there's no drive listed for it on my computer.

Does anyone have the answer out there?

Thanks

try allocate letter with
click here

warthog01 17:46 04 Dec 2007

This gets more confusing by the moment. After trolling through everything I can think of, I find the memory stick is recognised. I can call it up in Device Manager and in Control Panel/portable media devices as drive G or H depending on what else is plugged in to USB. I still cannot get it to display in my Computer so I can readily access it. Is it hiiden or something similar?

The answer is out there....................

SANTOS7 17:50 04 Dec 2007

turn off PC plug in memory stick reboot PC...

Coffee Adict 17:57 04 Dec 2007

Just place a shortcut on desktop, thats what I did with mine.

warthog01 18:31 04 Dec 2007

I thought about that, Coffee Addict, but where do I create the shortcut and does it still work if I pull the stick and replace it?

Coffee Adict 20:08 04 Dec 2007

Does it show as an icon in control panel, if so right click and towards the bottom of the list is an option to create a short cut left click this. A window will pop up saying cannot create short cut here do you want it placed on the desktop, to which you reply yes I know that you stupid machine where else would I want it (preferably out loud) and click yes. Shortcut should stay on desktop even when stick removed, mine just did. Always use the safely remove hardware feature, which should be in the task bar although possibly hidden under little blue arrow.

Cav1 16:41 15 Mar 2008

I have just bought a memory stick USB Pen Drive 8 GB but can't get it to work I have a Medion pentium 4 have heard that there may be a problem with this, I was given digital photo frame for xmas and want to down load photographs would like some help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone