memory stick failures

nigelw3 16:46 13 Aug 2009

I used a new 16gb memory stick in XP home edition PC and copied about 8gb of folders/files to it using Windows Explorer. All looked in order after the copying was done but a few days later several of the root folders had no folders/files in them.

The dealer exchanged the stick for another make (still 16gb) and as suggested I did a Quick Format first this time. Again all looked good (using Windows Explorer) after the copying. A few days later several folders had lost their original contents and gained the same set of 12 old Excel files. Properties>Tools>Check Now reveals no error but Defragment Now fails due to a corrupted folder which can't be deleted or overwritten.

I do not believe there is anything wrong with the Folders/Files being copied since they can be copied to CD or opened. Copying files again to the new memory stick worked but again a set of spurious files appeared in several folders where they were not originally. Clearly there is some corruption. I cannot determine the brands of either memory stick.

Has anyone else had memory stick problems especially with larger capacity ones?

Nigel

GaT7 17:32 13 Aug 2009

First run H2testw click here to determine if the drive is OK. Choose the English option in the program.

"I cannot determine the brands of either memory stick." - I think this might be you main problem. NEVER buy an unbranded flash drive, or even a branded one off eBay or third-party seller on Amazon. There are too many fakes going around - more info click here & click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?