Memory Speeds

je-haz 14:48 31 Oct 2007

Hi,

I have a PC with 2gb of 667mhz ram.

I am going to upgrade to 4gb, but my mobo will take up to 800mhz speed.

Is it worth buying 4gb of 800mhz and selling the existing 2gb of 667mhz on ebay - or won't I notice the extra speed difference?

thanks

LABMAN 14:57 31 Oct 2007

Hi je-haz,

Unless you are running a 64bit version of either Windows XP or Vista, your operating system won't recognise you have more than about 3gb of RAM fitted.

In my humble opinion you would be better saving your money as I honestly don't think even that upgarding to 2GB of 800mhz RAM you would notice much improvement in speed.

je-haz 14:59 31 Oct 2007

I have vista 32bit - which has a 4gb ceiling (same as my motherboard). So I know the amount of RAM is fine.

Its the speed i'm questioning.

GaT7 15:47 31 Oct 2007

"or won't I notice the extra speed difference" - It depends on the rest of the system too (CPU, motherboard, graphics card), & what you use your PC for - I think high-end stuff tends to use the faster RAM better. Even then you'll probably only see some difference in benchmarks/certain intensive tasks - if neither is your thing or need, don't upgrade.

If you have the funds & MUST go for more & faster RAM (get v.good/premium quality stuff from OCZ/Corsair/Geil/etc - not generic/value), don't go over 3Gb click here. Also, depending on the motherboard it may run in single-channel only though. Some have had success with 3Gb at click here. G

GaT7 15:51 31 Oct 2007

Also see this PCA thread: 'RAM not recognised' by Pine Man click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?