Memory - single sided or double sided

CLONNEN 18:01 19 Jul 2004

What is the difference between single sided and double sided memory? Is double sided better in some way?

Dorsai 18:30 19 Jul 2004

Single sided has the chips on one side of the circuit board only.

Strangly enough double sided has the chips on both sides.

I have seen some MOBO's that can only use one or the other, so the first thing i would do if find out if this restriction applies to you. if you post you MOBO type someone is bound to know.

As for better or not, i am sure someone else can answer that, as i havn't got a clue!

CLONNEN 18:34 19 Jul 2004

According to the motherboard manual the two memory slots can take either single sided or double sided.

That's why I'm asking whether there is any difference.

I want to know what type I should buy.

johnsims 18:36 19 Jul 2004

go to the crucial site click here and see what they have to say about it.

14all 18:51 19 Jul 2004

This is going to be a non-technical answer,

My Mother board is 6 years old and has only two memory slots, so to upgrade it to 256mb of ram I had to buy two 2 double sided memory sticks.

Each stick was 64mb a side, so basically I brought 2 x 128 mb sticks of memory.
As they were an older type of memory I could have brought them from CRUCIAL online, but I found them in MAPLINS, of all places.

I hope this helps as I did have help from this forum in the first place when I wanted to upgrade, but as you see I haven’t got very far technically.

Dorsai 18:52 19 Jul 2004

Ah ha. Just said as many questions are asked by others when the decision has already been made by their pre-existing hardware, but they did not know this.

Look forawd to finding out myself.

€dstowe 18:52 19 Jul 2004

It matters little to you which it is.

It most certainly matters to your computer, though, and you must buy the one suitable for your motherboard setup.

Do as johnsims suggests and consult the experts in memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?