Memory Quiz

funky_demon 19:49 09 May 2005

Lokking to get some memory, and wondered if anyone could explain the difference between these two types, given the difference in cost
Im not sure how to make them clickable links, so u will have to paste them into your address bar
Sorry!

Example 1

click here

Example 2
click here

Thanks for your time!

PUNKA 20:00 09 May 2005

Only difference I can see is CL=2 and CL=3 I believe this does make a difference or am I wrong.:)

rubella 20:05 09 May 2005

click here has a CL value of 2. Whereas click here has a CL of 3.

CL stands for CAS Latency and concerns memory timings. A value of 1.5 would be outstanding but 2 is probably as good as you’ll get. It’s what my Corsair runs with. 2.5 would be pretty average, and 3 is slow.

funky_demon 17:26 12 May 2005

thanks for ure input!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:43 12 May 2005

Although both are ddr 400 and so are nominally the same all the memory timings with the Ballistix ram are faster. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in practise unless you run benchmarks. Furthermore I have standard Crucial ddr 400 ram and have it running at the same timings as the Ballistix except the cas latency which is set to 2.5 as it will not run at 2.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:48 12 May 2005

3 is the usual cas latency for ddr 400 ram, only expensive high performance has a faster timing as standard. 2.5 is the usual figure for ddr 266 and ddr 333 ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?