memory question

Majin_Vegetto 08:40 10 Nov 2008

what would happen if you put too much ram onto a motherboard for example if you put in 2gb to a motherboard that can only take 1gb. This is a bit of a stupid question i know but i want to upgrade my old laptop and at the moment it has the most it can take which is 160mb

MAJ 09:08 10 Nov 2008

Either the extra memory wont register, or that particular slot will refuse to report any memory at all.

Diemmess 09:39 10 Nov 2008

Two facts from personal experience.

My aging laser printer can accept extra ram up to a total of 250Mb. Anything more and it still works, but the extra is ignored.

When I once tried running W98SE with more than 500Mb the whole OS became unstable and crashed!

MAJ gave a very likely answer, but you can always try it. Nothing will be destroyed but don't persist if the computer becomes tetchy

Majin_Vegetto 11:38 10 Nov 2008

so theres no real point in adding more ram to it

MAJ 11:44 10 Nov 2008

Which laptop are you using, Majin_Vegetto? How old is it? Which operating system are you using?
160MB seems a weird amount to be the maximum.

Majin_Vegetto 17:38 10 Nov 2008

yeah i know its really weird lol its a toshiba satelite pro 2140cds it comes with 32 mb and i put in the extra 128. i am currently running 2000 on it but im thinking of getting rid of it the thing is i need to have it wireless enabled and 98 is rubbish with wireless networking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017