Memory and processor upgrade, above max spec.

DJ-Garry 13:08 11 Jul 2013

Hi all :)

I have an Acer Aspire 7736G MS2279 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. This laptop is getting a little slow in comparison these days, and as it's already got the manufacturer's max of 4Gb RAM installed, I wondered if this max could be exceeded in any way? I've upgraded the HDD from 500Gb to 1Tb, and it still has the standard Intel Core2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB) Processor. I've done the usual clean up with different apps and defrags etc... What else can I do to make it faster and more current please?

Thanks, Garry.

SirMetal 00:08 12 Jul 2013

Generally speaking, you can't upgrade the hardware in your PC past the maximum spec. The best thing you can do is to download CCleaner, give it a clean with that, and also check which programs are starting up when you turn your PC on. I recommend disabling as many as you can.

Failing this, reinstalling Windows from scratch will be the best way to go (unless you want to buy some new kit).

Callum

SirMetal 00:13 12 Jul 2013

In this order:

CCleaner - cleanup CCleaner - disable startup programs Defrag the hard drive Scan for viruses -- I recommend Malwarebytes Uninstall any unnescesarry programs

(More extreme measures):

Reinstall Windows Ditch the old HDD and buy a speedy SSD Buy a new laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?