Memory Problems

Kingwraith 17:04 08 Sep 2003

I have been attempting to install some new memory in my PC. I bought a new 256mb chip and fitted it into the available slot next to my 128mb chip. When I rebooted the system the memory displayed at start up as 384mb of memory and when i checked at the windows control panel the memory also showed there as 384mb.

But shortly after this I got a windows message saying that windows had closed due to an error and to check any new hardware. I checked the memory was fitted right and booted again.

Again the memory was displayed as 384mb and there seemed to be no problem until a short while later I got the same blue screen with message saying check my memory. I have since removed the chip and have no problems.
Does any one have any suggestions on what may be causing this problem. PC world where I bought the chip say that it is working fine?

Chegs ® 17:30 08 Sep 2003

Sounds like your two sticks are incompatable with each other.I had similar troubles with two sticks of RAM causing BSOD/lockups/crashes,etc.They were both same size/mfg/speed as the stick already installed,yet they simply refused to co-operate all together,I took mine back to the supplier,and he swapped them for two other sticks,which have been happily doing what RAM does for several mths now. :-)

Rayuk 18:13 08 Sep 2003

Best if you have the larger stick in 1st slot.

Also try running it with the new stick on its own see if it comes up with any errors,if not then add 2nd stick see what happens

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?