Memory Loss!!

kidda123 10:20 06 Jan 2009

Hi,

Quick question, I have just installed a new Nvidia 9600GT graphics card and my available system ram has gone down from 3GB to 2.5GB?

I have 4GB installed on the PC and I am aware that a 32 bit system will only show a certain amount but I can't understand why this has dropped. I had a 7900GS in before and it showed 3GB then.

Cheers.

Technotiger 10:25 06 Jan 2009

This is from a review of that card, it might explain the RAM difference ...

One other feature of the 9600 GT that's worth noting is the card's increased 512MB RAM loadout. Neither ATI nor NVIDIA defines a single amount of memory that's "right" for any particular card, but all recent midrange products from both companies have used 256MB of RAM as part of the reference design. NVIDIA's decision to step up to 512MB, in this case, isn't just a marketing ploy to win marketshare—there are games on the market today that've outgrown the 256MB limitation and crater when forced to run at high detail levels with such a small amount of memory.

kidda123 10:36 06 Jan 2009

Thanks Technotiger

Ok, Does that mean it's taking 512MB ram from my PC despite the fact that it is supposed to be a 512mb card?

Confused!

canarieslover 10:48 06 Jan 2009

No. Its memory addresses that the grapphics card uses that are no longer available to your system ram. The memory is still there but until you install a 64 bit OS you can't access it.

kidda123 10:57 06 Jan 2009

OK that makes sense.

Thanks for the explanations Tecnotiger and canarieslover, I look forward at seeing my full 4gb when vista 64bit is installed.

Cheers Again.

Technotiger 10:58 06 Jan 2009

Our pleasure .......... Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?