memory loss

mkennyd 15:59 28 Nov 2008

Dear PC People.
As doing what you do late at night on the PC i was suddenly given the message that my computer memory was low.
I went to Control Panel and was told to increase my memory.
I have absoloutly no idea what i'm supposed to do,as i only use my Laptop lightly.
I did go to an advanced page, and was asked how much more i should increase the RAMS.
Bit of a novice when it comes to things like this.
I run on Vista Home. With 512mg, 80 Hard Drive Intel Celeron 530 1.73GHz.
Any advice on this,would be grateful as i'm no comp whiz.
Mike.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 28 Nov 2008

I run on Vista Home. With 512mg, 80 Hard Drive Intel Celeron 530 1.73GHz.

With 512mg if you mean a single 512Mb memory stick I'm surprised Vista runs at all.

I would have thought you needed 2Gb of memory to run Vista reasonably well.

make and model of laptop?

MAJ 16:16 28 Nov 2008

For a start 512MB of RAM is way too little for Vista Home Premium, you'll need at least 1GB of RAM, but much better with 2GB.

The error you saw probably refers to Virtual Memory, it will need incrased, or let Windows manage it itself. Have a read click here But also click here and run the scanner, it will tell you what type of memory you need. I would advise you to upgrade to 2 GB.

mkennyd 16:26 28 Nov 2008

Dear Fruitbat.
Thanks for responding but i have no idea about Megas and Gigas all i do know is that my system is IE SYSTEMS, and my Laptop is Hitachi.
Mike.

mkennyd 16:37 28 Nov 2008

Dear Maj.
When you say upgrade to say 2 g bites, does that mean i have to buy a new Laptop or can i do it by
doing something with my system itself, or perhaps a new update with windows. Please excuse me of my lack of knowledge.
Mike.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 28 Nov 2008

click here
look at the review here

is this your machine?

You will definitely need more memory to run Vista properly.

memory is easy to fit there is a flap on the underside and the memory is slotted in below that.
run the scanner at crucial to get the correct memory.

Memory can be bought from click here but crucial will guarantee and replace without hassle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone