memory jumping from 400 to 1 and back(out of 512)

BEAT 18:47 30 May 2003

hello there, can anyone help? -my mem.turbo program shows that my memory is jumping from 1 up to 400+ and then back down to 1. this is causing my system to run very slow even though i have 25GB of disc space left and 512 memory. i recently installed 256 of it without problems. until now. i have 600kb speed cable and websites open slowly most of the time-even when i have lots of memory available. oh yeah, the memturbo prog. opens two icons the same on startup.? this didnt seem a problem previously. im running xp pro, AMD athlon xp 1500+ 1.3ghz. cheers.

Philip2 20:52 30 May 2003

What OS are you running?? If you are running W ME
512 is the max ram for this OS it can cause it to slow or freeze.

BEAT 22:28 30 May 2003

os? what is that? sorry. my system has windows xp pro.

Philip2 23:19 30 May 2003

Sorry OS is your operating system.
As your running W2000 what i said does not apply.
I hope someone else on the forum can be of help to you.

jimv7 23:30 30 May 2003

Try it with only 1 stick of ram in, if it works ok, take that stick out and put the other 1 in, this will show if 1 of the sticks is faulty.

jeez 23:52 30 May 2003

leave your ram alone! Memturbo is a memory management program that "free's" memory, so it's perfectly normal for your available memory to jump around like this. This particular program I found just swap's the memory out to disk, when the swap file is clogged with all this swapping activity the pc grinds to a halt and becomes slow to the point of becoming unresponsive. Windows xp comes with a pretty decent memory manager and excellent system monitoring (through ctrl+alt+del). I really wouldn't advise installing a third party memory manager on a xp system (although it did used to work reasonably well with 9.x). I'd uninstall memturbo if I were you and I think you'll find your system will improve. Also check you have not got microsoft update Q811493 installed as this is a buggy patch that will slow your xp system to a crawl.

BEAT 18:13 31 May 2003

ok. thanks very much jeez.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017