Memory and gaming performance

noobtype 09:02 29 Jan 2007

I have 1 gig of memory with my 3.2 Pentium 4. Will 2 gigs make much difference with gaming performance? I have a GeForce 7600 GT. It all works pretty well on games like Oblivion and Fear with maxed out effects, but still I get a few stutters that are annoying. Is it worth getting the extra memory or is 1 gig all you need?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:13 29 Jan 2007

If you are playing Oblivion, it's a beefier graphics card you need, not more ram.

noobtype 09:24 29 Jan 2007

Yes but would it make a difference? It looks pretty good when i play it. Memeory is far cheaper than forking out for a Nvidia 8800, as much as i'd like one.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:51 29 Jan 2007

Loading times might be reduced a little but you probably won't notice. You won't see any improvement in frame rates. As you already have 1GB of ram it will only be if you do something like video editing or Photoshopping large images, both of which are very memory intensive, that you will really notice the difference with extra ram.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:53 29 Jan 2007

I play GTR2 and it only loads around 385MB into ram, even though I already have 2GB of ram.

noobtype 09:56 29 Jan 2007

How can you tell how much ram is being used as you play games? That sounds useful.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:00 29 Jan 2007

Press Crtl-Alt-Delete to open the Task Manager and look under the Processes tab.

noobtype 11:19 29 Jan 2007

cheers mate.

Maybe i'll invest in a new card. And Vista too, as some games need it I hear, such as Alan Wake. And a dual processor. Ack where will it end!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?