MEMORY DUMP >>>\PLEASE HELP

mutt 00:15 29 Mar 2004

i keep getting the message of memory dump this counts up to 100 and the system resrtarts ...i have disabled it from the advanced settings from control panel........hardware....advanced tab etc ....this has stopped the memory dump ...I HAVE CHANGED IT TO NONE but all that happens now is the SYSTEM CLICKS OUT AND RESTARTS ITSELF...I HAVE WINDOWS XP..........AND I ALSO KEEP GETTING THE SYSTEM KEEPS ASKING ABOUT DEBUGGING AND DO I WISH TO DEBUG ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM ONLINE...SORRY ABOUT THE LONG MESSAGE AND I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP AND DO I NEED MORE MEMORY BECAUSE I HAVE ................512MB ????????????

powerless 00:29 29 Mar 2004

I HAVE CHANGED IT TO NONE but all that happens now is the SYSTEM CLICKS OUT AND RESTARTS ITSELF...I HAVE WINDOWS XP

Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings [third one]

UNcheck: Automatically Restart

Click OK.

Next time XP restarts it will thow up a blue screen note all info and post it back.

AND I ALSO KEEP GETTING THE SYSTEM KEEPS ASKING ABOUT DEBUGGING AND DO I WISH TO DEBUG ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM ONLINE.

click here

spikeychris 10:22 29 Mar 2004

"DO I NEED MORE MEMORY BECAUSE I HAVE ................512MB ???????????? "...No 512 is enough. When your machine tells you its dumping memory what its actually doing is throwing files to a designated area (one which you can move if you wish using the same options as you used to prevent it from creating the files in the first place)

Even when the files are in place they are unreadable, just a load of hex nonsense, so you can use a tool called Dumpchk.exe (its on the XP-CD. Even with the tool you will need to do a bit of research though, as theres no "THIS IS THE PROBLEM" line, just a few hints as to whats gone wrong.

Dumpchk.exe will work but such is the hassle of tracing the problems most people would opt for a repair installation rather than messing about with clues.

Powerless has sent you a link for the IE debug options but as Dumpchk.exe is also a debugging tool and your chucking memory files it could be you need to debug Windows.

If the problem continues and you don't want to play with the Dumpchk.exe then a repair installation might be best. click here

click here for some information on VM, with your 512 you really should let Windows handle it as you have enough memory to cope (unless your multi tasking)

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?