Memory conundrum !!!!!!

Stowit 16:49 28 Apr 2004

I bought some 1 gig of 'cheap' memory through Ebay. When fitted, both AIDA32 & my 'system' tells me I have 480mb installed. The PC wont boot with my new & old (512mb dimm) memory installed freezing on a blue screen before windows has fully loaded. I looked with just old & that similarly states 480mb. The DIMMs have chips on both sides. (an old thread suggests this may be the issue) & the Pc does feel perkier with the larger chip in. Any suggestions whats happening. I'd contacted MSI (the mobos maker, P4-MAML model) before buying the large DIMM & from the spec they said it was compatible. I've built the system from scratch & with every step forward I seem to go 2 back. Help please.

matt1234 16:50 28 Apr 2004

wrong type of ram

Stowit 17:15 28 Apr 2004

I have searched the forum & previous posts suggest that Matt. However as I said the spec reads as it should & MSI said it should be compatible. Both DIMMs are seen as 480 mb. Are both incompatible? How do I find some that is, the specs are bob on !

Rayuk 17:21 28 Apr 2004

If you have onboard graphics this could be using the missing 32Mb

Rayuk 17:24 28 Apr 2004

How many slots are on the board have you tried swapping them about.
If so looks as though they are incompatible.

Gemma 17:35 28 Apr 2004

Use the Crucial tool on their web site. click here and they have helpful, actual people, too.

Stowit 17:48 28 Apr 2004

I've tried swapping slots (theres 2) no change. Yes there's on board graphics which explains the missing 32mb, but where's my other 512 mb gone? Perhaps its just not compatible. I bought 1 gig, it was faulty so whilst sorting the exchange bought the 512mb DIMM to get it running. Having 2 slots I thought I'd eventually run 2 X 1 gig. I'm not too concerned the DIMMs wont run together, just worried my replacement 1gig is faulty. Is there any way of finding out if it's just my Mobo only sees half of it? I'm just off to the Crucial site now, see what that says.

Rayuk 18:27 28 Apr 2004

Only way is to put it in another pc see if its the same.
Is it the same memory ie PC1600 2100 for both sticks

Stowit 18:55 28 Apr 2004

I'm pretty sure both are P2700, & although the Mobo manual doesn't mention this speed MSI told me it's ok.(indeed the 512mb DIMM would seem to be OK - missing 32mb in graphics)

R4 19:10 28 Apr 2004

What O/s are you using as some Mobos do not appear to like large memory on the Win 98

Stowit 20:48 28 Apr 2004

I'm using Windows ME, that has in the past proved fine. R4 is there any way of finding out you know? Or anyone else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?