Memory Congiguration Problem

jaycup 10:42 15 Jan 2009

I have just bought 2 x 1Gb. additional Memory Sticks (Corsair XMS DDR2), this will match the two already installed in my self build computer, making a total of 4Gb. My current configuration is 'dual-memory'. I am running XP Pro (32Bit) and I already know that this will only use 3Gb in total. I need advice as to the following.

1. Am I wasting 1Gb.of memory in my proposed new configuration.

2. If I only install one more 'stick' will this have an adverse effect on my existing 'dual' set-up

3. Would the best solution be to install the additional two sticks in another dual-memory configuration.

Hope I have made my 'dilemma' clear.

AndySD 10:53 15 Jan 2009

Install it as Duel.
Thats how mine is set up with no problems.

DieSse 13:02 15 Jan 2009

"Am I wasting 1Gb.of memory in my proposed new configuration."

Yes. Though you may get more than 3GB - it depends on your exact hardware configuration.

"If I only install one more 'stick' will this have an adverse effect on my existing 'dual' set-up."

Yes - it won't run in dual mode (probably).

"Would the best solution be to install the additional two sticks in another dual-memory configuration."

You could get 2x 512MB sticks instead. But if it was me I would get the 2x1GB and accept the loss of some of it.

jaycup 14:24 15 Jan 2009

Thank you both very much for the prompt and helpful advice, it confirms what I thought I should do. I will install both modules and hope I get about 3.3Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?