Memory Card Reader Problem

wrg 13:27 21 May 2007

Afternoon all.

I purchased 2 highspeed best data multi card readers. I have tried to transfer some photo's to a SD card that I plugged into the reader. Each time i get a message asking me to insert disk. I have tried it on both readers but get the same message. I have inserted a card that I know has some photo's on it and when I try to view them I still get the same message. It is USB V1.1 or 2. Am I missing something obvious?. Surely I cant have receievd to dodgy readers.

Thanks

WRG

skidzy 17:17 21 May 2007

Have you tried from My Computer,it should be listed as a removable drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 21 May 2007

Operting system?

XP
When you have card in reader and reader in USB port does XP find new hardware?

Graham. 17:19 21 May 2007

Are the cards the right way up?

wrg 09:00 22 May 2007

Morning

Thank you all for your response. I said I had 2 readers, one was for a colleague at work. He tried his and it worked fine on his computer. I took mine home last night and it worked fine on my computer at home. What is happening when I plug it in is that it comes up showing as removable drive G and it will not let me access it. When I try it at home it shows as removable drive E and works. On the computer where it does not work if I use a USB pen that shows as drive E and not G and I can use it but every time I use the card reader it shows as G. I hope that makes sense.

WRG

wrg 09:01 22 May 2007

Sorry just to reply to your responses I am using XP and the card is the right way up, it can only go in one way

Wendy 11:01 24 Jul 2007

I have the same problem I've never got a card reader to work, and I've tried 2 now. I've tried with SD and the latest is meant to read XD picture cards amongst others.
In Windows Explorer I get the card listed as card I, but the message says the drive is not formatted and do I want to format it now. I don't as there are pics on it.
It is not recognised by windows (XP pro) when inserted in the reader.
I tried the hardware installer from Control Panel but there seems nothing like it on there. I have no disk with the device.
Sorry to barge in here, but it seems to be the same problem.

Wendy 11:02 24 Jul 2007

Sorry I said card I (that's the letter I not one) and I meant to say DRIVE I.

wrg 11:08 24 Jul 2007

Wendy

As far as I am aware you do not need to load any software with the card reader. USB drives should automatically install the software for you. Try going to my computer and see if it is listed, if so highlight it and right click and open. Hopefully it will show your pictures, then try to copy and paste. I came to the conclusion that there was a problem with the USB port I was trying to use, but not being a techie I was unsure how to check. I deduced this from the fact that it worked on other computers ok with the same software.

Graham. 23:06 24 Jul 2007

Card readers can be a little flaky with large capacity cards. Mine won't read 1GB, for instance.

I have to connect the camera itself to USB, and even then I have to re-boot the PC, as it remembers the last device connected and won't see a new device.

FatboySlim71 09:03 25 Jul 2007

Graham is right, some card readers are a bit hit and miss when it comes to large capacity cards and some are hit and miss with certain brands as well. I used to own a Sandisc card reader that was supposed to read virtually all types of cards, when I purchased my new digital camera (which takes SD cards) I purchased a Sandisc 2GB SD card and the Sansdisc card reader would not read it, you would have expected it to as it was the same brand as the card reader.

If anyone is interested, I purchased this one and it never causes me any problems, also my cousin has one, and 6 of my work colleges and all of them have had NO problems with them.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?