memory card probs

gazzaboy 16:26 05 Jul 2009

Some of my pc 's usb ports wont work .I have two at the front and four at the back . Also the card reader wont read certain mem cards . It is a Asus mother board 1.6 GHz i think and is about 3 years old. Running Vista aswell. The camera i have is a Pentax Optio and it wont reconise the pictures on the card when connected to the comp via cable etheir ?

Technotiger 17:43 05 Jul 2009

Sounds as if you need to refresh your USB Ports. Go into Devices and uninstall ALL USB items, re-start your computer and the USB Ports will be refreshed/reinstalled.

gazzaboy 18:00 05 Jul 2009

thanks ? how do i do that ? How do i get into devices

Technotiger 19:04 05 Jul 2009

Right-click on My Computer then Properties>Hardware>Device Manager then scroll down to USB Controllers ....

Technotiger 19:06 05 Jul 2009

... meant to add - then right-click on each entry and select un-install. Don't worry, when you re-start your computer, all will be re-installed.

gazzaboy 08:27 06 Jul 2009

Thanks i have tried it and all works i think but still card reader wont read the card . It is a sandisc .Tried all usbs with camera cable and the camera wont read . Tried to get driver update for pentax but kept sending me to download a program for device updates which reQuired costs !

Technotiger 09:13 06 Jul 2009

Can you try the card and the camera on another computer? If so, that would then tell you whether the card, the camera or the computer is at fault.

gazzaboy 18:56 06 Jul 2009

The camera and card are sound ! the front two usbs still dont work (thought they did ) .Reckon the whole pc needs update s!

Technotiger 19:18 06 Jul 2009

It is not unusual, for the two front USB Ports NOT to be connected. So perhaps yours are not connected!

gazzaboy 19:22 06 Jul 2009

ok cheers for your help!! Its probably a driver problem with the camera . Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?