Memory

chub_tor 16:09 08 Aug 2009

I am a duffer when it comes to knowing which memory is better than others. I know that for my new build I need DDR2 and that is about it. The processor will be an Athlon II X2 250 £GHz which I will buy in the States next month click here . I can also get one of these two memory modules click here or click here As you can see they are about the same price. (The latter needs a rebate but don't worry about that I have an account to get the rebate back).

Out of these two which memory would forum members choose and why?

GaT7 16:18 08 Aug 2009

Which ever is cheaper will do fine. If you're a heavy overclocker, you may want to go with the higher-rated Kingston HyperX stuff.

I thought we'd been through this before click here? G

chub_tor 16:38 08 Aug 2009

Yes we have been through some of this but now that I am off to the States I thought that I would see what is available over there and what I was really trying to find out this time is which memory is better to have. I see references to timings such as 5-5-5-18 and 7-7-7-20 and it doesn't mean a damn thing to me. Which timing is reckoned to be better/faster regardless of the processor involved?

GaT7 16:51 08 Aug 2009

It won't make the slightest difference which is better. I'd just get the cheaper of the two. The cheapest good branded PC6400 RAM will do too.

Good prices in the States as always! G

chub_tor 17:56 08 Aug 2009

Purely for my education then is 5-5-5-18 faster or slower than 7-7-7-20?

woodchip 18:04 08 Aug 2009

What if the Memory Proves to be Faulty when you fit it, or goes Faulty after a short While????????!!!!!!!!!Think About it before Buying over there is it worth it. Plus what happens when you fetch things back in Customs

GaT7 18:15 08 Aug 2009

The lower the latency the better, but the 5-5-5-18 figure is in lower clocked RAM. Hence as we're comparing between 2 different clock speeds too (800Mhz vs 1066Mhz), I'd say there's nothing between them at all. G

chub_tor 18:29 08 Aug 2009

I lived in Texas for 6 years, I still visit often enough to not worry if I buy things over there which could fail. I know that in a few months I will be back there. Over the past umpteen years I have brought back motherboards, hard drives, graphics cards and processors and have yet to have a failure on any component. The stuff that I bring back is always within the Duty Free allowance and yes perhaps I should have declared it so that I could pay VAT but the rules about VAT on goods within the allowance (currently £340) are so complex that not even the Customs Officers seem to know whic category attracts VAT and which doesn't. I have several friends in what used to be called HM Revenue and Customs and their advice has always been "Stay within the allowance and go through the Green Channel". So that's what I do.

Crossbow7 Thanks for your input, I am still as confused as ever but from what you say I understand that for the same clock frequency then lower numbers are better. I will take your advice and just get what is cheapest.

GaT7 18:43 08 Aug 2009

"I understand that for the same clock frequency then lower numbers are better" - yes, that's right :-)

Well, if it's only going to be a few $s in it, then get whatever you can afford (within reason). As long as it's a reasonably good brand, it'll be fine.

Premium-priced, higher-clocked, low-latency RAM is generally only for the enthusiasts who are going to be doing a lot of overclocking, benchmarking & experimenting. General PC users aren't going to get anything worthwhile out of them whatsoever. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?