Memory!

Beardie 13:57 07 Mar 2007

Hi Guys I have ordered from crucial 2x512mb chips for a IBM Think pad.When they arrive do i just take out the existing 128mb and insert the others or is it a bit more complicated!

BurrWalnut 14:01 07 Mar 2007

I don't know about Thinkpads but ordinarily, yes.

Also, remove the battery as well as the power cord before 'going inside'.

crosstrainer 14:29 07 Mar 2007

As long as you ran the memory checker on the crucial site before you ordered, then yes....remove the single 128 module, and replace it with the 2x512's...what worries me a bit is that some older thinkpads only have one memory slot.

If that's the case you have ordered the wrong memory upgrade..... but if you checked it first it's an easy enough job to do.

Technotiger 14:59 07 Mar 2007

Hi, it is an easy operation. The mem sticks can only fit one way, make sure that you don't try to force them in the wrong way round. When you press down the white clips on each end of the mem slot, you should notice that this action raises the mem sticks a little allowing its easy removal. Line up the new mem sticks carefully with the slots at each end and gently push down until the white clips move upwards to fit in the recess - you may need a little bit of pressure.

Technotiger 15:02 07 Mar 2007

Hi, it is an easy operation. The mem sticks can only fit one way, make sure that you don't try to force them in the wrong way round. When you press down the white clips on each end of the mem slot, you should notice that this action raises the mem sticks a little allowing its easy removal. Line up the new mem sticks carefully with the slots at each end and gently push down until the white clips move upwards to fit in the recess - you may need a little bit of pressure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?