Megapixel photos

podlod 10:54 21 Aug 2008

Hi, well here goes I will try and explain what I mean.
I have a digital camera that gives me 6.0 million megapixels and the image sizes I can have are 3008x2000; 2240x1488; 1504x1000, can you please tell me the actual dimensions of each size indicated here I can get when I receive a print from a shop without distortion or fault to the photo. I am now changing my camera for a 10.00 million megapixal to hopefully improve the photo when enlarging so will it also give me better results. Sorry if you do not understand what I am trying to explain.

Noels 11:10 21 Aug 2008

I can't tell you the exact size in inches but 6 million pixels should give you excellent photos up to A3 size. Providing you set your camera to 3008x200 and "Fine". At this setting you will get less photos on your memory card but they will be best quality.
You will probably see no or very little difference by going to 10 million pixels. What is important is not the number of pixels but the size of the sensor that records the photos.

click here

See above for an explanation of pixels

Regards
Noels

Pamy 11:13 21 Aug 2008

This forum question and answers may be of help
click here

Seth Haniel 11:19 21 Aug 2008

My camera is a 2.1 megapixels and takes excellent pictures because it has a good lens and good optical zoom
click here

I have a compact digital camera with higher megapixel but standard lens and can get no where near the quality

So look to lens not megapixel for your quality of print and optical not digital zoom

hssutton 11:23 21 Aug 2008

For a photo quality print your D70s will enlarge to 10 x 6 1/2" The D200 @10 mp will give photo quality size of 13 x 8 1/2".

However you can print much larger than this with acceptable results.

I get super results A3 prints from my full frame 12 mp camera.

click here for the definitive answer

Diemmess 18:18 21 Aug 2008

In simplest terms the three different sizes you quote are the resolution of the picture depending on which setting you choose.

The larger the number the greater the likelihood of a "sharp" picture at larger print sizes.

This is only for starters because there is a trade-off in most cameras.
The larger the number the slower the camera will be to "save" a shot or even to take the shot.

Finally, even more important, the quality of the lens and optics, plus the choice of lens setting continue to be important as they were in photography from the first days.

The basic glory of the digital camera is to have masses of shots available almost without thinking. No excuse for missing the moment.
Fine art or good journalism will still need skill and experience whatever the computer does later!

Pineman100 18:42 21 Aug 2008

The problem with answering your question is that there are so many variables to take into account, when producing a good quality digital print.

As others have said, the megapixel rating of the CCD is only one factor. You need a good lens and you need a good quality CCD. The camera's interpolation software will also be a factor (a lot of digital cameras rely on this to produce their claimed megapixel rating).

Then there's the highly subjective matter of what you regard as an acceptable quality of print, not to mention the quality of the work that the print-shop will produce for you.

How big do you want your enlargements to be? A3 is a pretty big print (297mm x 420mm). Do you really want to go this big?

When you buy your new camera, I do suggest that you do plenty of research first. Read Press reviews, which will give you an idea of the quality of all these factors - not just the megapixel rating.

hssutton 18:53 21 Aug 2008

Obviously Posters to this thread are not aware of Podlods previous post.

So that everyone knows, Podlod is referring to one of best although discontinued camera the Nikon D200

podlod 13:10 22 Aug 2008

Hi, I want to thank all for their help which you have all told me exactly what I wanted to know.
I would like to know one more thing being, if my camera is set for 2240x1488 and decide that I would like a print being the same size of 3008x2000 is there a way I can perform this action? or do I have to change the size on my camera everytime to suit?

hssutton 13:39 22 Aug 2008

I would suggest that you always have your camera set to maximum resolution, as you never know when you will have/get that killer shot.

Yes you can print to a bigger than optimum size, but with a resulting loss in quality.

A 4gb card only costs £17 delivered in the UK, not too sure of cost in France

Pineman100 15:34 22 Aug 2008

I agree with hssutton.

With digital images, reduction is always satisfactory, whereas enlargement is not always achievable without loss of image quality. And the more you enlarge beyond the optimum physical file size, the more loss of quality you'll get.

So get yourself a big memory card and shoot at full resolution, unless you're 100% certain that you won't need a large file.

You'll have trouble improving on the Nikon D200 without spending really serious money. If I were you, I would consider spending rather less money on Photoshop CS3 - it'll probably cost you around £500, but a better camera than the D200 will cost you a lot more.

Photoshop CS3, with the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in (your D200 is one of the cameras supported), can handle your camera's files as raw data (ie: uncompressed), which will give you, I believe, something like a 12MB file. You can then process this file yourself, according to what you want to do with it.

Well, in your shoes that's what I would do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires