Medion wont turn on-but there is a blue light?

buel 21:55 23 Oct 2010

Hi, just a quick question-
My 11 month old medion akoya laptop will shortly be sent back to medion under warrantee because it wont turn on. The battery has been really poor for the last 6 months so i have just used mains power all the time. Two days ago it stopped turning when i pressed the power button. There is, however, a blue light on the very front of the laptop which has a very small icon next to it that looks like a battery with a lightening strike next to it...although i cant be sure as it is so small.
My question is is there anything i could try please?
Im just scared that Medion will just do what i've heard a lot of laptop companies do and start with wiping the HD, i really really dont want that!!

lotvic 22:25 23 Oct 2010

I would say yes it's a fair bet they could wipe clean the harddrive, (and also have a look at what you have on there - do you really want to have to worry about that?)

I would suggest you take HDD out and copy all contents - maybe make a backup copy of your 'My Documents' and also make a full drive Acronis Image or similar.
Then delete all your personal stuff including email, addresses, surfing history etc. and don't forget to empty the Recycle bin and all Temp folders.

If you get a USB TO SATA IDE CABLE / ADAPTER like this one from Amazon click here you can hook up the laptops HDD to another pc via USB and sort the contents out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:44 23 Oct 2010

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. See if it will boot

buel 22:56 23 Oct 2010

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT Fruit Bat!!!
It works just fine!!
Please can you tell me what the problem was??
(Thank you SO much!!)

BRYNIT 22:57 23 Oct 2010

buel

Medion as well as all other suppliers are not responsible for lost data and usually state this in the paperwork.

Medion tend to return the hard drive to the default setting eliminating any possible conflict between programs/drives before the check anything.

Before you send the laptop back for repair alway take dated photos and a notes of any marks just in case it is returned damaged. Also include with a copy of your receipt a detailed list of all problems/faults.

buel 23:05 23 Oct 2010

Thank you BRYNIT, that is very very good advice!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 23 Oct 2010

Static build up on the motherboard.

woodchip 23:09 23 Oct 2010

I suggest you back up all your Drive to a External USB drive While its running, Best way would be to Create a Image using Acronis True Image

buel 23:11 23 Oct 2010

Ok, thank you, i shall do that tomorrow.
Regarding the static build up on the motherboard, what can i do to stop this happening again? is it a common problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:14 23 Oct 2010

what can i do to stop this happening again? is it a common problem?

nothing
yes

you might also find that your battery may well charge up better now as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?