Medion MT6 recovery cd lost

howard64 16:57 06 Nov 2010

I have been asked to reset the pc to factory settings. All data has been saved to an external drive. The recovery partition is intact but the pc was originally supplied with a recovery cd which uses the recovery partition to do the restore. Does anyone know if it is possible to download and burn a cd? Medion want £19.99 for a replacement cd which seems expensing for what is now an old os.

BRYNIT 17:22 06 Nov 2010

Usually the Medion computers com with two disk.
1. Recovery disk this has a copy of the OS for a clean install.
1 Application and support disk, this is the one that uses the recovery files on the recovery partition. Check if they have this disk.

If it's a newish Medion computer you can start the recovery by pressing one of the F keys on boot up.

I am not sure of the Medion MT6, what OS it has or when it was on sale could be known under different numbers. You could try the Medion & support site click here they may be able to advise.

howard64 17:38 06 Nov 2010

it is XP home and as I said the only offer from medion was the £19.99 option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 06 Nov 2010

Look in the recovery partition on the hard drive.

What files does it have on? Factory.PQI and Factory.002-7?

If so these are power quest image files PQ! files can be opened with PowerQuest's PQIBrowser (PQIBrowser.exe) or Symantec Norton Ghost (part of Norton SystemWorks).
PowerQuest was bought by Symantec and rebranded as Norton Ghost. Ghost saves backup files as .GHO files.

Perhaps the free trial of Ghost will open it for you

BRYNIT 18:38 06 Nov 2010

howard64

The link I supplied is to the Aldi/Medion support forum. Medion do not run or have anything to do with this site. Most people who visit this site have used Medion computer for years and may be able to help. No guarantees.

howard64 08:20 07 Nov 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\ the files are as you say in the recovery partition but I understand these on their own cannot carry out the recovery. BRYNIT thanks for the link I will have a look there. Cheers.

howard64 16:53 08 Nov 2010

well I cannot get anywhere with this. Apparently the .pqi file in the recovery partition is a disk image only usable with either powerquest or a late version of norton ghost. I do not have either and cannot find anywhere to download a free copy.

woodchip 18:02 08 Nov 2010

looks to me like if you want it work again, and cannot find the disc is £19.99 still cheaper than buying a XP CD.

howard64 18:37 08 Nov 2010

you are probably right woodchip - I am now loading a copy of xp home having saved all the drivers and the cd key is on the sticker on the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017