Medion MD8800 Graphics Card faulty

raysophie 14:24 04 Dec 2009

I have a Medion MD 8800 Desktop which may have a faulty graphics card, NVIDIA GeFORCE 6700XL what would be the best card to replace this with.
Thanks for your help.

GaT7 15:49 04 Dec 2009

That card appears to be a PCI-E one - see click here.

It's easy enough to suggest a replacement, but if you let us know what you do on your PC it will help to get one that suits your needs better. For instance, do you or are you going to play any 3D games? G

raysophie 16:57 04 Dec 2009

At the moment I only use it for general use, emails web search etc, but want to play tv on PC once I get leads sorted, plus after 4 years have used two monitors so would like to get that going as well.
Thanks once again for help.

GaT7 17:06 04 Dec 2009

Right, in that case I'd suggest going for a low-end graphics card with VGA, DVI & HDMI ports. An example would be a £22 Sapphire HD 3450 click here (choose Super Saver delivery at checkout to keep the cost low).

"but want to play tv on PC" - do you mean you want to connect your TV to the PC? What outputs does the TV have?

"plus after 4 years have used two monitors" - do you mean you'd like to run 2 monitors at once? The suggested card will do this. G

raysophie 17:54 04 Dec 2009

Sorry not clear, going to run ariel to PC and this should let me get analog TV on PC,also PC cable from PC to TV, to use as monitor, will look at connecting Digi Box first to aerial to see if that gives me Digital TV.
My friend runs 2 monitors on his PC, and as my monitor has been playing up I had to get 15" lcd out of loft to see if the problem I have been having with my monitor happens on the small monitor,thus at the moment I have two monitors on PC just need to work out how to use them both.
As the problem might still be with my monitor I am going to have to take it to my sons to try out on his system.
If the Veiwsonic VA912 proves to be faulty I am going to get a Viewsonic VX2260WM to replace it with.
Sure this is clear as mud.
Ray

woodchip 18:03 04 Dec 2009

You cannot play TV on a PC unless you Have some kind of TV Tuner. You can get USB plug in ones click here
some more click here

GaT7 18:21 04 Dec 2009

"going to run ariel to PC and this should let me get analog TV on PC" - as woodchip suggests, I guess you have an internal/external TV tuner installed?

"also PC cable from PC to TV, to use as monitor" - what connectors does the TV have?

"thus at the moment I have two monitors on PC just need to work out how to use them both." - you can achieve this with just about any graphics card these days that has 2 (or more) outputs. A standard VGA/DVI cable will do, depending on the monitors/graphics cards ports. Then it's just a case of making the appropriate settings in Display Properties (this may help click here).

If you eventually find that the graphics card is at fault, then my graphics card suggestion still stands. G

raysophie 18:42 04 Dec 2009

TV has PC input socket, think it is 15 way same as on monitor. PC has inbuilt TV card.
thanks will try your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone