Media Server of file share

Air_Man 08:48 22 Dec 2008

I want to turn one of my old PCs into an "always on" device to store all my files and allow us to watch/listen to videos/music on any PC in the house (they're all wireless).

At the moment I can simply open a file from my main PC and watch/listen to it via a shared folder.

However, I would like to know how a "server" (specifically a media server) differs and the benefits of this approach.

Isn't a PC whose sole job is to store and "serve" files (including media files) a "server"??

Sorry - new to this whole networking thing. I have the hardware side sorted but this question has been bugging me for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mgmcc 17:12 22 Dec 2008

There are essentially two types of network:

(a) Peer-to-Peer and (b) Client/Server

Home networks are "peer-to-peer" with all connected computers having an equal status in the network. The fact that you elect to store all of your files in a particular computer and then "share" the relevant Folders/Drives doesn't alter the fact that it is still a "peer-to-peer" network.

In a "Client/Server" network, the client PCs will be running an operating system such as XP Pro and the Server will be running a dedicated server Operating System, such as Microsoft Small Business Server.

brundle 17:30 22 Dec 2008

Home Server for media sharing etc; click here

You may not want to spend that much but the site gives lots of information.

You can turn a modded XBox or 2nd-hand PC into a media server with free XBMC; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?