Media Player no longer plays DVDs

VCR97 19:59 16 Jun 2005

MP has stopped playing DVDs. I insert the DVD and select MP in the what-do-you-want-to-do box. The MP window appears, and that is that. No picture and nothing in the playlist area. Clicking on Play does nothing. DVD video in the Properties> File Type list is ticked. The DVD will play with PowerDVD, so the drive is OK. Tried System Restore but it won't restore to any point. This failure to restore has happened in the past with other problems and probably isn't related to the DVD problem. Tried rebooting and power off/on. Tried updating MP. Is there a repair facility for MP? If so, where is it hidden? I know that I can simply use Power DVD but I don't want an unsolved fault on the computer.

VCR97 20:03 16 Jun 2005

XP home/SP1 and MP 8.00.00.4487.

robert01 20:11 16 Jun 2005

With the dvd in the drive, open media player from start menu, then along the top bar you have file, view, play, tools etc. Under the play drop down menu is there an entry that says 'DVD VCD or CD Audio' on mine it is fourth one down and I have to click on that as media player will not automatically open dvds.

David4637 18:58 17 Jun 2005

The DVD & CD options in the menu bar are greyed out on my WMP Version 9. How do I play DVDs using it? Thanks David

VCR97 19:10 17 Jun 2005

It's greyed-out in mine too, but thanks for the suggestion.

VCR97 19:04 18 Jun 2005

I thought that updating might do the trick so I told MP to check for updates. It said "You have the latest version of Windows Media Player. There are no available updates at this time." This is despite the fact that MP was telling me that it was V8. I went to the MS Update site and got V10. That's got rid of the problem.

Stuartli 23:09 18 Jun 2005

You have to have a hardware or software decoder to be able to play DVDs in WMP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie