Media Player Internal Error !

samson1589 23:17 08 Feb 2009

Hi need some help. I have a desktop pc that is not connected to the internet running xp professional sp2. In the 4 years or so i have owned this machine i dont think i have ever used windows media player. Now i need too. I click on it and get the message "An internal application error has occurred".
So i downloaded windows media player 10 on my laptop put it on usb stick and transfered to desktop. Installed ok then i click on the desktop shortcut and i get the same message.

Any ideas ?

Sea Urchin 23:24 08 Feb 2009
  samson1589 23:51 08 Feb 2009

Not having a lot of luck with this link i have found the fix and microsoft is telling me the jscript or vbscript is corrupted. When i try and run the fix i just get a failed message with a return code 0x80004005. Cant find that on the microsoft help centre. Im lost !

Any other ideas ?

Sea Urchin 00:26 09 Feb 2009

Try downloading the latest version of WMP (ver 11) from

click here

but first make sure you uninstall any existing version/s from Add/Remove Programs and clean with CCleaner

click here

bert52a 16:59 07 Jun 2009

click here

After endless messing about I have finally cured my similar prob- I got the error message anytime I tried to use wmp- this link is similar to the one above but isn't accessed through cmd.

hope it works!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?