Media Player crashes and Video plays jerkily

stuartp77 00:10 21 Oct 2007

I have two problems. I hope this is the right place to air them.

1. Media Player starts then up comes message: Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close". I uninstalled it and upgraded IE 7 to IE 7 and Media Player 11, but same problem persists.

2. When I try to watch a video from an email link, it goes very very slow with one little jerk at a time and the sound follows suit. I've downloaded codecs and Microsoft fixes but nothing works.

Help for these would be most sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77

Terry Brown 07:21 21 Oct 2007

It sounds (pardon the pun)as (1)You either do not have enough memory,(2) The machine is not powerful enough for the upgraded software,(3) It is very fragmented, (4) the hard drive is full,(5)The machine is running hot, causing the processor to run slower, (6)the paging file is set incorrectly.
To get to paging file (memory), do the following:
Press the windows key and the Break key together,Select advanced,Select Performance, then advanced, and finally Virtual memory. change to let window decide,and click set. You will need to re-start your machine.
Hope this helps
Terry

stuartp77 08:57 21 Oct 2007

Hi Terry.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

My laptop is 8 months old with 60 gb and 47 gb free and 1gb RAM. I don't think its running hot although when I put my hand underneath it, it does feel very warm.
Under Virtual Memory Custom Size is ticked, not System managed size or No paging file. Further down, under Total Paging file size for all drives: Recommended is 2278 mb and Currently allocated 744 mb which is the intial size under Custom size above. Does that mean I should change the Initial Size/Currently allocated size to 2278 mb?

Thanks a lot,

Stuart.

JeffGUK 16:00 22 Oct 2007

Media player crashes now on any video I try when I press the play button. It started when I went to ABC.com and tried their High Definition video, where it installed something to make their playback work. I stupidly (hindsight) downloaded and installed it, and when it didn't work (it just locked up my computer on playback) I tried to find and remove it via Add/Remove Programs (something called MoveNetworks Video Player for Internet Explorer). With help of a technician I tried removing it every which way (even safe startup, etc), but it won't remove. So, I was wondering if there is some way I can reinstall Windows Media Player again over it? If not, is there something else I should try?

JeffGUK 16:00 22 Oct 2007

Media player crashes now on any video I try when I press the play button. It started when I went to ABC.com and tried their High Definition video, where it installed something to make their playback work. I stupidly (hindsight) downloaded and installed it, and when it didn't work (it just locked up my computer on playback) I tried to find and remove it via Add/Remove Programs (something called MoveNetworks Video Player for Internet Explorer). With help of a technician I tried removing it every which way (even safe startup, etc), but it won't remove. So, I was wondering if there is some way I can reinstall Windows Media Player again over it? If not, is there something else I should try?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?