Media Player Classic

Trikie 00:41 09 Feb 2005

New XP PC has a CD/DVD dual layer Reader/Writer. Only software supplied id Nero Startsmart OEM which as far as I can see only permits writing CDs and DVDs. I'm told I need another program to read and a search of this Forum found a recommendation for Media Player Classic.

I've downloaded this into my Download folder as usual, expecting that when I opened it it would load as a program. However opening it brings up the screen from which the DVD is played.

How do I get it into the menu of programs and onto the desktop?

Am I right in thinking it doesn't play CDs and so I need another program for this?

ashdav 00:50 09 Feb 2005

click on the arrow on the left of the Nero Startsmart window then select Nero Showtime. This is the Nero media player.

Totally-braindead 00:52 09 Feb 2005

No you're wrong, any cd rom, cdwriter or dvd rom or writer can see and read cds. If I get this right someone told you that your DVD reader/writer can't read disks without a program, is this what someone told you or have I got this muddled up?

Totally-braindead 01:01 09 Feb 2005

Reading ashdavs answer if its an audio cd you're wanting to play Windows media player play this and its part of windows, its built in. If its a DVD you want to play then Nero Showtime will play it.

Totally-braindead 01:03 09 Feb 2005

Sorry meant to say "if its an audio cd windows media player can play this"

Trikie 01:15 09 Feb 2005

Thanks ashdav. Clicking the right hand window in Startsmart gives only Applications, Toolkit and Manuals.

Totally-braindead - yes you have got it right. Not sure if my adviser was referring to audio or data CDs or both.

I haven't got Windows Media Player - is it part of XP or do I have to get it from somewhere else?

Demora 01:20 09 Feb 2005

Start Menu/accessories/Entertainment. Media player should be there.

Trikie 01:36 09 Feb 2005

Thanks Demora, thats sorted the Audio CDs.

I've now tried to read 2 backup data CDs that were made on the previous PC. The CD Drive screen recognises the amount of data recorded but does not list the folders etc - the next screen is empty.

The data is a mixture of WP files and pictures.

Totally-braindead 23:50 09 Feb 2005

You could try looking at them from windows explorer, or what sometimes works is to open them from the program used to create them, for example if you had a Word document on it then start Word click on open and guide to the CD drive and see if it'll detect it.

Trikie 09:31 10 Feb 2005

Thanks Totally-braindead - Windows Explorer has done the trick.

Chezdez 09:36 10 Feb 2005

nero showtime, i believe, needs installing seperately to the burning program (like how inCD needs installing seperately)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires