media player 10 freezes my pc

erinemily 16:59 07 Feb 2006

when i try to play my media player 10 for video it will freeze and when i play music it will freeze when it gets to the end of onesong it also freezes when i play streaming video through my bt/yahoo player i have a packard bell pc with a celeron r cpu 2.60GHz and 256 mb of ram with service pack 2 installed i have tried many different ways of correcting the problem but nothing seems to work i would be very grateful if someone could help me solve this as its driving me insane

JWJH 17:08 07 Feb 2006

Have you considered using Media Player Classic from click here it's free and plays loads of formats.

rdave13 17:10 07 Feb 2006

Try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP10.

PC Bilbo 18:06 07 Feb 2006

What is your pc configuration?. How much RAM. Do you have separate graphics card?

If you mean M.P. freezes whilst playing with visualisations switched on this can cause these symptons where RAM is too low.

If you have on board integrated graphics and say only 256MB of physical RAM running Win2000 or XP I guarantee this will occur.XP needs Min 512MB RAM to run smoothly.

Download Advisor free from wclick here and run it and this will summarize yr system details.

PC Bilbo 18:07 07 Feb 2006

What is your pc configuration?. How much RAM. Do you have separate graphics card?

If you mean M.P. freezes whilst playing with visualisations switched on this can cause these symptons where RAM is too low.

If you have on board integrated graphics and say only 256MB of physical RAM running Win2000 or XP I guarantee this will occur.XP needs Min 512MB RAM to run smoothly.

Download Advisor free from wclick here and run it and this will summarize yr system details.

erinemily 12:20 09 Feb 2006

i used the belarc download and it stated i had a geforce 4 card that was installed with the pc and on memory modules it said ddr1 has 256mb and ddr 2 is empty all service packs and hotfixs are up to date my pc is a packard bell i extreme could the amount of memory cause the mp 10 to freeze between songs and upon playing video what possible ways could i remedy the problem thank you for last responses

PC Bilbo 15:45 09 Feb 2006

Thanks erinemily

You don't actually give the full Packard Bell model.Normally you would have another no like model i-extreme 6052.

If you have a separate Gforce 4 graphics card Belarc Advisor should tell you the model no. but if it's shared graphics it won't but the available memory (not physical memory will show as less.For example, if you have 64MB shared graphics memory and 256MB physical RAM , you would end up with only 192MB for Windows to work with.

As I said previously, if you are trying to play music and video at the same time, you will have a lot of data being swapped in and out of the memory and can reach saturation point and slow to a halt.
If this was the cause of yr media player problem there may also be a noticeable hesitation in sound
quality before it freezes.

Certainly, installing another 256MB RAM will make yr system run smoother.

nerawan 17:08 09 Feb 2006

Most PCs have only 256 Mb and they work o.k. I have a Pentium II with only 128 Mb and WMP works fine ,even when I navigate the internet.
A good way to know if that is memory is going to Task manager and see the processes. It will tell you how much (%) resources the applications are taking.

PC Bilbo 18:22 09 Feb 2006

But are you running XP nerawan?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?