Medal of Honour DVD not recognised by DVD

fredzepp 21:12 23 Jan 2007

Hello,

can anyone advise me? I have a DVD+Rewritable drive, it's a SONY DVD RW DW-U18A. I just bought a new, sealed copy of Medal of Honour Pacific Assault (Directors Edition on DVD-Rom), off Ebay but the drive won't even recognise the disc at all. My DVD drive is supposed to be 8x read speed which meets the spec. required by the software. On the EA Games support page it says that some DVD writers may not be able to read it as it puts too much "stress" on the drive and that you really need a "full DVD drive".

It seems pretty unreasonable to sell a game which only certain types of DVD drive may be able to read and not specify that on the cover of the software. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do, or do I have to buy a new drive just to play this game?

Thanks for any help.

Totally-braindead 22:58 23 Jan 2007

I've had a look at the support pages and I can't see the thing you mention about putting too much stress on the drive. Perhaps you could post a link to it.

fredzepp 23:42 23 Jan 2007

Thanks for your reply - I'm fairly new to this forum, not sure how you're supposed to do links but here's the URL:

click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Thanks

Totally-braindead 23:47 23 Jan 2007

It worked fredzepp. Can't help wondering what the mean about a full DVD drive. I don't know what they mean.
Are you sure you have a DVD drive and not a CD drive? Have you looked to see?
If you have and you do is there a friend perhaps that can try the disk for you and see if it works in his/her PC?
It could be a faulty disk but the only way to be certain is to try it on another DVD drive that is known to be working.

fredzepp 23:57 23 Jan 2007

Thanks for the suggestions - its definitely a DVD drive. I am thinking by "full DVD drive" they mean a dedicated read-only drive and maybe one which runs at faster than 8x but then that is beyond the spec. shown on the software.

The disc looks a bit warped maybe thats where the fault lies...

I guess as you say I will have to find another test machine.

cheers,

Totally-braindead 00:04 24 Jan 2007

Well I've got a DVD ROM drive which is read only and a DVD Writer which can read and right. Both play this game no problem as I used to have it. And my DVD ROM drive is almost certainly a 16 speed one but what possible difference that would make to installing the game I do not know. It could cause lag if you used an older drive that was slower when the game was running and had to read from it but it would have nothing to do with installing.
One final thought. Try another DVD in the drive, make sure that the drive is working ok. DVD ROMs have 2 sets of lasers, one for CDs and one for DVDs. One set can fail letting the drive only see the other, ie the DVD laser can fail but it will still read CDs and vice versa.

fredzepp 00:10 24 Jan 2007

Thanks Totally-braindead, I will try what you suggest but I strongly suspect I have a duff copy - course the vendor is now referring me to the game's tech support but I suspect I will get nowhere fast with that.

dunk 22:58 24 Jan 2007

Is there any mention on the box of the disk containing copy protection?

I have had similar problems with a DVD game.

Some of the copy protection on games which are supplied on DVD seems to dislike certain older DVD drives.

can you try the disk in another computer

This thread may be of help

click here

fredzepp 08:45 25 Jan 2007

Thanks for your response & the thread - I have tried it in two PCs now, neither have recognised it but then both PCs are quite old. I might take it to PC World and surrupticiously slip it into one of their machines!

To be honest though, I am fairly convinced it's the disc as other DVD Rom games work fine on my PC. The disc itself looks very slightly buckled so this may be preventing the playhead reading the disc.

Cheers,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?