Me to XP Upgrade

Bucko1 20:49 15 Jan 2004

I'm just about to upgrade from Me to XP doing a completely fresh installation and I have read that I will be offered the choice of choosing to format with Fat 32 or NTFS.

It would seem that NTFS is the better system but...

1) if I choose the NTFS file system will my existing software programs still run ok.

2) are there any other disadvantages with changing to NTFS

Thanks guys

y_not 21:34 15 Jan 2004

Yes your programmes will run fine (provided they are XP compatible)

Using NTFS means less fragmentation.... better use of large hard drive space... therefore faster after a period of use, because data isn't as scattered, which in turn means less likely loss of data in emergency situations.

One other thing - take a screen shot of the BSOD - a rarity with XP so you might want to remember what it looked like!

Hey y_not, I was thinking of doing the same upgrade - using a full install ans many on here had suggested that XP far exceeds ME.

But (confused) what is BSOD ??

VoG II 22:07 15 Jan 2004

You can always choose FAT32 then convert the drive later on click here

VoG II 22:07 15 Jan 2004

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

Thanks VoG - but still confused !!

Not being "too" IT literate, my idea of deleting words off a word document that I have spelt wrong ends up in the monitor covered in tip-ex - but hey - the smell is fine !!

I take it the BSOD is something to do with XP crashing ??

Bucko1 22:14 15 Jan 2004

Thanks for that, but what on earth is a BSOD (scuse my ignorance!).

Can I still try to run thngs in compatability mode with NTFS if they are not XP compatable? (some of my software is quite old (W95) and I don't know if it will work with XP.

Also I have a network via a router to another computer running windows Me, which will stay windows Me. If I change to NTFS will I still be able to exchange files? I read somewhere that Me cannot understand NTFS files. Is that true?

VoG II 22:16 15 Jan 2004

BSOD is to do with any version of Windows crashing - blue screen with error messages on. If you have ME you must have seen this: it was at least a daily occurrence in my case.

The point y_not was making is that, usually, this virtually never happens with XP.

Bucko1 22:17 15 Jan 2004

I must have been writing my post when you answered - simple really isn't it

gudgulf 22:17 15 Jan 2004

BSOD is the blue error screen that windows me tends to prefer to a normal working display. It does not appear very often in xp.

VoG II 22:17 15 Jan 2004

Try before you buy click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?