ME upgrade to XP - best approach?

scales 21:31 30 Aug 2007

I have a ME machine the kids use for games. As more of their games now need XP I thought I would upgrade, so now the question - what is the best option? Do I a) get an XP upgrade and upgrade, or do I b) get an upgrade and clean install, or do I c) buy an OEM version and clean install? Basically I want to do the least work on the thing to get it a bit more up to date. I put a new hard drive in it last month and I spent some time making sure I didn't lose anything so now I am a bit loath to just wipe everything and start again.

PP321 21:42 30 Aug 2007

If you have a machine running ME , then the chances are its rather old , most of the modern games require a half decent computer, so before splashing out on an OS , get a list of the games they want to play, and then see (via the games's websites system requirements) if your machine will run them.

To answer your question, i ALLWAYS prefer a clean install.

Do you know the specs of the system?

scales 22:01 30 Aug 2007

It is about 6 years old Tiny machine but it does have 256 MB memory with a Pentium 4 chip.

Strawballs 22:07 30 Aug 2007

256 is the bare minimum to run XP, I would up that

VoG II 22:08 30 Aug 2007

click here

You would benefit from increasing the memory click here

PP321 22:12 30 Aug 2007

My origonal advice still stands.

I think it'll struggle on todays games.

scales 23:33 30 Aug 2007

OK, I will check out exactly what they have in mind to play. Thanks for the links, I think the machine will be creaking a bit even with extra memory. Cheers.

woodchip 23:38 30 Aug 2007

It may need a better Graphics card, that makes the PC not cost effective. Use the old comp for what you do now and buy a new system box that you can plug into the system with the right hardware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017