ME shutdown (it doesnt)

psyduck 23:04 30 Mar 2003

My windows ME hasn't shut down properly for weeks now,I shut down via ctrl,alt,delete. Can anyone solve this one for me.

John-241827 23:14 30 Mar 2003

I had this problem when I first bought my machine a couple of years ago. It stopped when I installed updated video card drivers. Maybe this is worth a try.

MPete 23:18 30 Mar 2003

ctrl,alt,delete is the off button isn't it?

You telling me there is a Different Off Button?

User-312386 23:52 30 Mar 2003

go to start>shutdown

now re-start in ms-dos

when in dos type scanreg/fix

this will fix any problems within the registry

madboy33

also restart in safe mode(Tap F5 on start up)

carry out a disc clean up, scandisc and a defrag

madboy33

Mango Grummit 02:03 31 Mar 2003

Madboy missed you are on Win ME. His first suggestion is for Win98. You can't restart ME in DOS. If you go to Google and type in Shutdown Problem on Windows ME (or something like that)you will find there are absolutely scores of possible reasons for the problem you have and sorting out which one is yours is a major headache. You'll have to work through them one by one I'm afraid. As a starting point though if I were you I'd give the registry a good clean-up using jv16.

I once had the problem for a time and never could cure it then one day it disappeared of its own volition. I hope you can either sort the prob or be as lucky as I was!

Regards

wawadave 08:16 31 Mar 2003

try this
click here

psyduck 22:22 02 Apr 2003

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone, I have been busy trying to solve the other problem I have.
I did go on the link to ME shutdown problems and tried a lot of the cures that were on offer but to no avail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?