mcsmss.exe

John B 13:13 02 Jan 2005

In a previous thread I asked about PSW.Agent.Q and mcsmss.exe which ZA detected asking for permission to connect to the net. I followed the advice given in click here
but I still have the problem. A search on Google brought me this click here
which describes exactly the problem; but I'm afraid I can't follow the solution.

Any thoughts please.

(hope the links work!)

ACOLYTE 13:17 02 Jan 2005

Hi, sorry its still there, the link suggests a way to clear it but in not technical enough to help maybe the resident experts will advise,and at least this keeps the post at the top.

ACOLYTE 13:18 02 Jan 2005

Yes,keep it blocked untill you get help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 02 Jan 2005

Download and run Stinger click here

If that desn't find and remove it there are more Trojan removers :-
click here
click here
click here

John B 13:38 02 Jan 2005

Cheers for the quick response and advice. I shall try the Stinger route first.

John B 14:34 02 Jan 2005

Stinger did tell me it was out of date, but the link provided by stinger took me to a page which had the same version. Anyway, now I'll try Fruit Bat /\0/\'s next link.

Cheers!

John B 08:27 03 Jan 2005

I've run all of the links provided by Fruit Bat (thanks) but no problem was found! I will continue to deny mcsmss.exe access to the net; although I am wondering if it is a legitimate piece of software given that all of the Trojan removers failed to find a problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:33 03 Jan 2005

Its a Troj/Proxyser-F click here

Run Microworld click here

Delete C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe

Empty all temporay files in your internet cache and in any other accounts. Crap Cleaner click here is good for this.

John B 11:44 03 Jan 2005

Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've run eScan Antivirus and it's found 9 virus entries. It won't delete them unless I pay (which I probably will because its the only tool that managed to find the problem).

I have tried to delete C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe but access is denied.

Thanks for your help.

John B 13:09 03 Jan 2005

I have now deleted C:\windows\system32\mcsmss.exe by starting XP in safe mode. I also deleted a file called C:\windows\system32\bot.exe

This seems to have solved the problem, so thanks again Fruit Bat.

I am concerned about AVG; looking back through the test results AVG originally found mcsmss.exe and deleted it, but on later tests, it declared mcsmss.exe to be ok!

John B 23:08 03 Jan 2005

I hope I'm not tempting fate by clicking resolved! Thanks for everyone's help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?