MCE/Vista Remote Control with Windows XP

Funktion 15:47 22 Mar 2008

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew of any software to fully utilise Media Center remote controls with Windows XP (Pro, SP2)? I have recently 'liberated' a remote control and USB IR receiver from my sister's new Vista PC and would like to hook it up to a machine I have in my front room.

The remote itself is a Philips RC1974506/00 and the USB receiver identified by Windows (plug and play - no driver issues) as a 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver'. When plugged into a laptop running Vista, the remote functions flawlessly with all aspects of Vista's Media Center. However, there is extremely limited functionality with XP Pro and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

I know that buying Windows Media Center Edition or Vista would solve the problem, but I'm not wanting to splash out on a new OS just for the sake of getting a remote to work. Has anybody found a freeware program similar in function to Media Center, or does anybody know of a decent plugin for WinAmp (I will be willing to start using Media Player again if that would work). It's just that when you're using a wired mouse/keyboard and your head is about a foot from the TV, things get kinda blurry......

MCE2K5 18:56 22 Mar 2008

Try this MediaPortal (It's Free) click here

Funktion 23:37 24 Mar 2008

That's absolutely awesome! Thanks lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone