McAfee Virus update problems

CurlyWhirly 22:56 17 Sep 2004

I have recently discovered a problem with my McAfee VirusScan 8 update feature.
When I go to McAfee Security Center > Updates > Check now > Update all that happens is the website page 'clicks' and refreshes like mad with no progress on the Internet Explorer progress bar and if I click on Cancel then AOL 9 crashes with a 'Not responding' error message.

I have been to the Chat option on the McAfee website and I was told to reinstall VirusScan 8 again which I have done but I still have the same problem.
I don't think it is anything to do with installing Service Pack 2 as the update feature worked okay for the first week of installing it.
Also as it says that if you leave Pop-up blockers on it may cause problems I have disabled the SP2 and AOL's custom pop-up blockers but this makes no difference.
Does anyone else get the same problem as me?
CW

CurlyWhirly 23:39 17 Sep 2004

I think I am right in saying that I read a post in this forum saying that you use McAfee VirusScan?
If so can I just check with you that the latest virus definitions are dated 16.9.2004 and are DAT version 4.0.4392?
When I click on the Updates icon that is when I have the above problem!
I am just wondering whether it is a bug or not?
CW

CurlyWhirly 17:04 18 Sep 2004

Resolved. Just to let people know what happened I ran a Virus Scan and it found a virus and this was the cause of me not being able to update!
Where I got this virus from I don't know never mind everything working okay now.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone