McAfee Virus scan update payment.

Epirb406 19:09 30 Sep 2003

Hi all, should this be here or consumer watch? Not sure.

Anyway, went to McaFee site to renew dat file subscription. Jumped through all the hoops and got an quick email from the site.

It's the payment that seems odd, they have sent me their bank details and are asking me to make a transfer into a ABN AMRO bank account.

This usual/ right/ scam/ what?

Think its all above board just thought I'd check before I went ahead and transfered.

Cheers all,

Epirb.

timothywilliam 19:51 30 Sep 2003

Sounds a bit iffy to me. I should try telephoning their Customer services first to check. Just be thankful you don't have Norton subscriptions renewal to contend with. Guaranteed to send your blood pressure right up.

john-232317 20:26 30 Sep 2003

Invest in AVG for free instead.

Jester2K II 20:33 30 Sep 2003

click here Free

Flak999 21:18 30 Sep 2003

I also have had the same thing, emails purporting to come from mcafee asking me to make deposits to this amro account, i have just ignored and deleted them, i can still update my dat files as before, i think its a scam!

Epirb406 18:55 01 Oct 2003

Cheers for advice, including the freebies....however,

I don't wan't to seem spend happy but I am quite content with McAfee, know it and it seems to work.

I can't phone customer services until the weekend and this may be legit.

I unlike Flak99 can't still update my dat files.

Anyone any experience?

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 16:32 05 Oct 2003

Hi all, thanks for help, the solution....

Went back to the web site to see if I could find a way to pay by CC. On the grounds of a question they asked on the website I checked out my copy of the program and somehow it was registered as an evaluation copy, not correct as it was bought in a box!

To solve this I unistalled it, cleaned theregistry and reinstalled. I now seem to have full access to updates and am happy but slightly confused.

Thanks for all help and assistance,

Cheers all, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie