McAfee Update Warning

AlanHo 08:19 20 Jun 2003

The Auto update feature in McAfee Virus Scan yesterday indicated that I needed to download the latest data files - also an update to Virus Scan called the McAfee Security Centre.

I downloaded and installed both.

The Security Centre turned out to be a crude advert for other McAfee products - warning you that you have no Firewall (Yet I have one) and various privacy products. Even worse - I now get pop ups from the taskbar to warn of various viruses on the web and inviting me to download McAfee Virus Scan (which is already installed.

I tried to uninstall the Secuity Centre but this can only be done if you first remove all other McAfee programmes. This involves me in uninstalling Virus Scan and reinstalling it later plus a long download session to get all the Data files back up to date.

My advice to all McAfee users is to NOT download the Security Centre - unless you are a pop up freak.

Andybear 09:31 20 Jun 2003

I downloaded the McAfee Security Centre and thought the same as you. However, I was able to delete it without having to delete my other McAfee programme (QuickClean). They were two separate programmes under 'Add/Remove Programmes' in the Control Panel. Deleting the Security Centre hasn't impacted on QuickClean in any way.

AlanHo 10:23 20 Jun 2003

Andy

I tried to use the Windows Add/remove Programmes feature but get the message "In order to ininstall McAfee Security Centre you need to uninstall all McAfee security services first".

The only other McAfee programme installed is Virus Scan Home Edition - so I presume that I must remove this before I can rid myself of the Security Centre.

I have tried uninstaling with Virus Scan switched off - but still no luck.

At present I have used msconfig to remove Security Centre from the start up list and its icon no longer appears in the taskbar - but the pop ups still occur.

It therefore appears that I must uninstall my McAfee programmes and reinstall a virus protection programme - but will it be McAfee next time ???? I don't think so.

Andybear 10:35 20 Jun 2003

AlanHo

Possibly the reason you had to remove McAfee Antivirus at the same time as the Security Centre was because it was somehow incorporated into the Security Centre. QuickClean is probably more of a 'stand alone' programme. I agree though, the Security Centre is annoying - they're not doing themselves any favours by advertising products in this way. On the contrary, it'll probably just put people off.

I use Norton AntiVirus 2003. I've had no problems with that. It's easy to use and has the usual updates - these are free for a year. I'd certainly recommend it. Amazon are selling it for £36.99 at the moment. Check out the reviews for it here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?