Mcafee spamkiller not installed now appears?

Internetwhizzkid 10:21 17 Apr 2007

Hi,
Just recently my mum has upgraded her to computer to windows vista home basic from the express upgrade from dell that arrived a few days ago. Now when she got the computer a 90 day trial of mcafee security centre was preinstalled. All was good except the spamkiller was changing her email settings every time she restarted the computer. So at this point she was not able to download her emails into outlook express. So in the end we deleted all of the mcafee products off the computer and went with AVG Free instead.
Now that all that had been sorted just after the upgrade we get a window that says there are some compatibility issues with the mcafee detector service (something like that) Anyway I ignored it and told it not to show the message again because we didn’t have the spam killer installed beforehand because we knew that we had uninstalled it fully and followed all the instructions that were shown. Even though I stopped that message we now get windows problems and diagnostics screen that says mcafee spamkiller has an error. This has started to become a real annoyance because it is not even installed. As a matter fact I have looked in the control panel and remove applications not a single sign of any mcafee product installed anywhere, what s worse is there is no icon or folders linking to the spamkiller nor the security centre.

Does anyone know why the computer is doing this? And is there a way to stop it?

Thanks
Ben

MichelleC 14:00 17 Apr 2007

You'll have to go into registry:

type regedit into Run, then 1st do a backup in case of errors (just doubleclick on backup icon and registry will revert back) [export 'all files', say to desktop]. Navigate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ Software/ Mcafee, and delete folder/s; plus do the same under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ Software (Mcafee may not be there as well), reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?