McAfee Security Scan

shellship 15:29 18 Dec 2009

When downloading the latest update to Adobe Reader in November my wife also downloaded, inadvertently, McAfee Security Scan. It raises its ugly head regularly, suggesting a scan. As she has Kapersky she does not need another security program. It has an uninstall option in Program Manager but one gets the message that the file cannot be found or access is denied. I downloaded the McA removal tool MCPR.exe and ran it, but it is still there. Tried the clumsy way of deleting all the McA files but was not allowed to. Any ideas how to get rid of the pesky thing please.

mfletch 16:55 18 Dec 2009

Download this its free

AppRemover click here

Does it list McAfee if yes let it remove it.

shellship 17:25 18 Dec 2009

Will try. Thanks so far.

shellship 17:55 18 Dec 2009

Interesting. Ran the app and all it found was Kapersky - no mention of McA. When I tried to delete McA manually I was told that I cannot delete SSScheduler.exe. Googled SSScheduler which is part of it and found several examples of people having downloaded it with Adobe. No reference anywhere to how to get rid of it. Help again please.

mfletch 18:00 18 Dec 2009

Do a system restore to a time before you downloaded the adobe update.

shellship 18:10 18 Dec 2009

Eureka!! From another forum got idea of looking in Start Up so went to msconfig, found it in Start Up, unchecked it, rebooted, and found I could delete it manually. What a pain but may help any others who had the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache